Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,171   Online: 1232

View Poll Results: How do you carry your MF kit? (Note: multiple choices are allowed)

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shoulder Bag

37 58.73%
  • Backpack

30 47.62%
  • Beltpack

7 11.11%
  • Neck Strap

20 31.75%
  • Satchel

4 6.35%
  • Vest

4 6.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

How do you carry that MF Kit? Bags, Packs, Satchels, Neck Straps, Vests & Belt Packs?

Love the quality I'm getting from the larger negatives and chromes since I stepped up to MF... but, I'm not a spring chicken anymore and carrying a MF kit all day kills my shoulder and back.

What do you carry you MF kit around in? And, I'd really like to hear what you are carrying in your kit... maybe I'm hauling too much stuff.

Cheers,

Jay

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It varies. On any given shoot, I may carry between one and five lenses and between one and five backs, and I may bring a couple more than on the plane when I'm traveling, but I rarely shoot with more than five.

So if I'm just carrying the camera and one lens, I just use a neckstrap and maybe a belt pack for extra film and a notebook, if I don't have pockets, or a fanny pack if I want to carry multiple backs for different lighting conditions.

Camera and three lenses--usually a shoulder back or neckstrap and a large fanny pack, and I've probably got three backs with me.

Camera and 4-5 lenses, three backs usually--shoulder bag.

Most often the shoulder bag for the MF kit (Bronica S2a) is an old leather Perrin Contur bag.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For my RB67 gear, I carry everything in a Kelty Redwing 3100 with some cases from Photobackpacker. I have a body, 3 lenses, 2 film backs, metered prism, lens hoods, etc... The backpack makes everything feel lighter than if I were to use a shoulder bag for it.

I'm in the process of upgrading my shoulder bag for my Mamiya M645 Super gear. I have one body/prism, 3 lenses, 2 film backs and some accessories.

That being said, I don't normally carry everything with me, just what I think I'll need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gee -- you didn't include "Car"

I'm still working on this and it's complicated by having acquired more gear than my original minimalist plan called for. I tend -- so far -- to set out on a specific project only requiring one body, one lens, one or two backs, a cable release, a few filters and a bunch of film. I acquired an Optech cushioned strap for a tripod as a separate entity. I have acquired two non-camera shoulder bags which I have padded with foam, one is larger than the other, but both quite small. Depending on how many backs and lenses I want to carry, I pick one.

I have acquired a vest, and already owned a small "fanny pack" that could be used for miscellaneous accessories and film (and an alternate technology P&S), but so far I've not gotten quite that entangled. The SQ-A with 65 or 80 mm and the waist level finder doesn't weigh much more than my Canon A-1 with the 35-105 macro zoom attached.

I have half a closet full of bags, some inherited, and I'm still looking for the "right" one.

DaveT

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do a combo- a backpack for carrying the whole kit on the road, and when I'm wandering around at my destination, I usually offload a portion of it into an over-the-shoulder bag that doesn't look like a camera bag, and carry that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I'm just walking around with my Rollei TLR, then it's on the neckstrap. When I flew to Maine last month I carried the TLR, a 503CX and 150 lens, couple of meters, and film in a backpack, which was heavy, but sure beats a shoulder bag. If I'm carrying anything more than that, I use a Porter rolling case.
    Once over 55, I found that heavy bags slung from one shoulder were killing my back. Backpacks are wonderful for carrying equipment, though not as easy to rummage around in as shoulder bags.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I do a combo- a backpack for carrying the whole kit on the road, and when I'm wandering around at my destination, I usually offload a portion of it into an over-the-shoulder bag that doesn't look like a camera bag, and carry that.
    This is kind of what I do too. One of the things I use is a large waist pack I bought at a rummage sale for $1. It will hold the Hassy, my 250 lens & a back. I also use my photo vest. The thing is invaluable!!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LowePro Slingshot 200. Holds my Hassy500c/m, 2 mags, 50mm, 150mm, hoods and films, and other bits & bobs. Remarkably roomy.

Or LowePro Nova 2 holds Hassy w. one mag, 50 & 150. A little cramped.

Or Pentax 645N w 45/2.8 around my neck (or rather, over my shoulder. But by the neckstrap).

-- MW
    Men, said the Devil, are good to their brothers: they don’t want to mend their own ways, but each others.
    -- Piet Hein

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Crumpler messenger-style bags are a good compromise between the convenience of a shoulder bag and the better weight distribution of a backpack. I've used the largest one with my 4x5" Technika kit for a few years now, and it's fine for day hikes on maintained trails, and it's a very convenient bag to work out of.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Didn't include duffle bags either. Or hard cases. Or who knows what.

Some of the answer will depend on what MF camera. I've got an old 1950s folder that fits a big pocket. Then you've got MF that are bigger then the average car.

I picked up a messenger bag/laptop bag for my 8x10. I think it'll be fine for the Bronica 645 but would likely be a bad choice for a Mamiya RB or RZ. The bag is padded. Not much money at $30 Canadian. Lots of pockets. Downside it's got a lousy strap. :rolleyes: What could have been a fairly good bag is now borderline. At least until I figure out how to improve the strap.

I can imagine a Pentax 645 on a neck strap. Or a Fuji RF. Even the bigger Fujis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin