Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,663   Online: 1162

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    Does mold form mostly because there are "openings" that let in moisture?
    'cause if this is the case and the seperation of the lens was that opening, then i have a decent "chicken before the egg" argument if they claim it was my fault that the lens is seperated. at least at this point i can say it is highly unlikely as that seperation is where the mold came from.

thanks again everyone. a fine community this is.
    2 separate things here - mold will occur as I said when a lens is stored in humid conditions, particularly hot humid conditions, with poor ventilation. Almost any lens with an interlens shutter not designed to work underwater will have sufficient gaps and openings (in the shutter rather than the lens itself) which will allow moisture in under unfavorable conditions and result in mold.

The second thing is the loose element, which will develop primarily if a lens is subject to vibration (for example, carried in a bag on the back of a motorcycle or in a small airplane) and not checked at frequent intervals. Mold-causing moisture will not enter as the result of loose lens elements.

Good luck - I think there is a very good chance that the store will be reasonable and refund your money!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm
    If they were ready to sell the lens as "good", they are ready to take defence. I do not think one that own such a lens do not knows what is fungus in a lens. I think you got a trouble, but let 'em know you are not stupid.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    okay...so to update on the talk i had with aaa pawnbrokers today.

basically to sum it up, they claim they can say anything they want about an items because they grant a 3-day inspection period. once the consignor is paid, they are not willing to do anything about it. apparently it is my 100% responsibility to work within this 3-day period, even if the defect(s) were there when i got the lens. they hold no responsibility for the description of the lens on ebay.

this is pretty much the worst answer i could have gotten, so i'm taking it to small claims court. fun times. now i can spend my free time running around the city for quotes and take a day off work to spend it in court. oh happy day.

on the plus side, he does claim he "knows" the guy who sold him the camera gear (which he also claims to only have made 10% on) and will give him my contact information "whenever he shows up next". they claim they only have his name and not his phone number on file. they're pretty full of crap there, so i'm going to call them on their sh--.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry to hear the result, although sadly not unexpected from a pawnbroker (I thought we were talking about a camera store). Again, I know nothing about Canadian law, but in Britain people do have the right to satisfaction from commercial sellers, and this applies as much to pawnbrokers as camera stores. In general, make it a policy in future when buying from non-expert sellers without after-sales backup (such as e-bay) to pay only trade price (50% of retail) so that you can factor in some servicing work if necessary and still come out ahead.

Hope things go well in the small-claims court!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jordan:

Be sure to archive the eBay listing, if you intend to rely on the representations there.

I would hope that you have left negative feedback.

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin