Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,124   Online: 757

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've enlarged 6x6 to 24" and found the image to hold together very well. I shoot colour. I'm not ashamed of the medium and don't care if the grain begins to show -- actually I want the grain to emerge, otherwise I'd be inclined to shoot digital or inject a digital step. I do care that the image looks as I'd like, that it doesn't fall apart and most importantly that image requires being that large in the first place.

If doing the math is important, then it might be worth looking into the resolving power of the Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses. They tend to be far better than all but the very best LF lenses (and as good or slightly better than the very best lf lenses), this combined with not having to stop down as much to achieve the same DOF and smaller distances of projection for similar enlargements tends to nullify or make less significant the differences in film size.

Photography isn't done with a calculator and 4x5 tends to be better than 6x6 from a mamiya 6, but not substantially. I wouldn't choose lf over my mamiya for capacity of enlargement alone as it just isn't worth the effort.
    Last edited by jd callow; 08-27-2007 at 02:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    "Daniel-OB: What you woud do in my place."

Yeah - I'd dump that Mamiya stuff for 10 cents on the dollar - that's what I did with my 2007 BMW when the ashtray got full... ;-)

" Be happy. Take a silver break today !!!"
    MP_Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    "Errors" rarely happen when you are not shooting the camera.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the fall out in the medium format market I dont know which makers have legs, Hassy or Rollie? Spending a lot of money for a system that is no longer supported does not make a lot sense to me. Who is still making cameras?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Not exactly. Tamron [the company that made Bronicas last] stopped production. But I'm fairly sure they still are providing service parts etc. At least until they run out.
    Nick, correct. They stopped production. They committed to providing parts and service for a number of years -- can't remember how many, but I'm sure a quick google search would turn up their policy.

- CJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    With the fall out in the medium format market I dont know which makers have legs, Hassy or Rollie? Spending a lot of money for a system that is no longer supported does not make a lot sense to me. Who is still making cameras?
    Paul, it depends on what you consider "a lot of money." I bought my Bronica with 75mm 2.8 lens, 150mm 3.5 lens, three backs, a winder, prism finder, and a few other accessories, all in pristine condition, for $750, and that was a few years ago. I've since bought a mint 40 mm lens for a whopping $125. As Nick pointed out, the line is still supported, and even when it isn't, it's easy to find replacement parts and places to service them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A professional camera is one with a backup on hand in case any problems arise.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The real issue here is a non-professional trying to pass themselves off as a professional. Just because you take money for a job doesn't make you a professional. According to the dictionary a "professional" is a person who is expert at his or her work. Clearly this was not the case in this situation. An expert would have taken the time to fully inspect their equipment prior to the shot, an expert would have taken a backup body, an expert would have mastered the camera before taking it out on a paying job.

To continue whining will only serve to make you appear even less professional than you already do.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    Mathematically 645 and 6x7 are far closer to each other than either one is to 4x5 (which is about 10x13cm). I'd be suprised if many people could tell the difference between the 645 and 6x7 in a blinded comparison.
    I have printed quite a few 16x20's and 20x24's (color) from 6x6 and 6x7 negs, and I can see a substantial difference between the two. After printing from 6x7, I would never want to go back to 6x6/645.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    Photography isn't done with a calculator and 4x5 tends to be better than 6x6 from a mamiya 6, but not substantially.
    Not substantially? How much printing have you done from 4x5 negs? Personally, I find the difference to be like night and day. No matter how you slice it, there is 4X the amount of information on 4x5 film than there is on 6x6.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin