Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,068   Online: 726

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What is a pro medium format camera

I make 16x20 and 20x24 prints, so need 56x70 mm negative.

For studio portrait ,... I have Linhof BY with RapidRolex (56x72mm) + Rodenstocks.

I used to use (I can already state it) mamiya rz proII which is ... But i realized such a camera has non-forgiving problems (say absolutely unreliable camera).

I am looking for a camera to replace RZ ProII with 50mm-ULD-F4.5, Macro 140mm, and 90mm lenses.

6x6 must be croped to 45x56 so it is much smaller than 56x72 which I like. I will use it in field, say events, weddings, and location portraits. Thinking between Hassy and Rolley 6008i or 6001. Can Zeiss lenses like 50 mm distagon and 100 mm planar accomodate for loss in format size so I can make the same photograph quality, with film speed twice less, as I had with RZ mamiya. Pentax 67 I think will take me no where due to bad lenses. Also I wold like that my new friend free me me from technical problems like slide in mamiya. My new camera will be used for professional work, so no sorry.
    Would like to hear words from McBlane also.

What you woud do in my place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A Hasselblad is a professional camera and the lenses are superb.

Oh, and it won't fire with the darkslide in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-OB View Post

What you woud do in my place.
    I'd get the interlock switch repaired. But then I've been doing this for 47 years - if I trashed a complete system everytime a repair was needed I'd have run out of camera manufacturers a long time ago.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, you interested in selling your Rz? Let the bidding begin....!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... What you woud do in my place.
    g'day Daniel,

i'd come to the realisation that having professional/best/latest/most expensive/fastest/coolest/most desirablest equipment won't make me a 'professional'.

i'd forget all the pseudo-techno BS and learn to get the best out of the gear i already have.

i'd blame myself when i stuff up, learn from the experience, and move on.

Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    A professional camera is any camera a professional might use. I occasionally use a holga in a professional capacity, and am well compensated for the effort.

For a "pro" camera system, I would echo hassy, but they can be more temperamental than the Mamiya (find out how to un-jam it before the shoot), and are much more expensive to purchase, maintain, and repair. The lenses are, of course, first rate. Bronica is also a good brand, but if you shoot hassy, nobody will question your equipment, (if they are naive enough to judge by that.) If it were me, I'd get the Mamiya repaired, or get the proper backs to have interlock, if that is the case.

When you are looking to "pro" equipment, you are buying into an entire system, and every system has strengths and weaknesses, or things that might be a preference. I always appreciated the 6x7 format over 6x6 because it composed more negative area for the average composition required for the type of things I was requires to shoot, and the aspect ratio it would normally be published at.

There is no perfect camera, just really good ones. Find a good one thats perfect for you, based on its strengths and weaknesses, and your personal preference of the system and its components. They are all well built, regardless of one bad experience.

Any of them can screw you to the wall, at any time. That's when the professional part needs to kick in, meaning you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Guys I undestand you all. And you all are correct. My ZF is good studio camera. I use my Linhof in studio too and never forget to take the slide from RapidRolex or Mamiya ZF.

But when you run in field and have to fly around it is possible to relly on some cameras features. I consider a camera part of me when I work especialy in difficult conditions. We both cannot work in the way to check each other at every step. I know posibilities of my camera and i beleive in it. If its features fails and show low reliability I can use it for some personal work only ....

I am looking for some camera 6x6 that can make the same photograph as 6x7 RZ on 20x24" paper, in field with high tension works. As known to me Hassy and Rolley6000 series are the "best" at the moment and with Zeiss and Schn. lenses, but never tryed. I am looking for the friend I can beleive in not for one I would always check what he is doing. If it does not exists than I would keep my f... RZ and accept to work with sh... coworker whose actions I always watch upon.

If Rolley cannot make it what for someone pays $5000? Yes errors are always possible but not during the sesion. That is what my standard do not accepts if I should call it a pro camera.

And someone mentioned camera do not make anyone a pro. Yes, but why you pay than thosands of dollars for it. Get some whatever and try. A pro camera helps to photographer in difficult conditions, not when the Sun is on your back and a nice girl in front.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji GX680. Weighs a ton, lots of electronics, SLR view, and very nice lenses. It is not idiot proof, and will not cover all possible mistakes. However, they do have a good track record (the later versions) for reliability.

If you want to shoot handheld, then a Mamiya 7 II with their 50mm lens. Probably better lens quality than the RZ67 overall, though the rangefinder focus limits some aspects of the camera.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I would buy a hasselblad and learn to shoot square full frame. It is an amazing format once you get the knack for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes errors are always possible but not during the sesion.
    "Errors" rarely happen when you are not shooting the camera.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin