Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,145   Online: 892

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Peter,

Nothing wrong with the good 'ole 500C/M. If you want/need the gliding mirror to avoid vignetting of the focussing screen when using longer lenses, like the 250CF, then you'll have to move to a more recent version of the 5xx series. I've always preferred this series due to its all mechanical nature...I used to shoot quite a bit in VERY cold weather.

The "i" version is supposed to be "improved." Years ago I did a rather informal test between my 150CF and a friends 150CFi (bare branches against winter sky type of thing) and I couldn't see any difference in the final print at the sizes I typically printed to.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    The CFI has the latest lens and coating design (according to zeiss), longer shutter life, and better wearing materials for the lens mount.
    And the CFE, which is really the latest in the line up.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Hello Peter,

Nothing wrong with the good 'ole 500C/M. If you want/need the gliding mirror to avoid vignetting of the focussing screen when using longer lenses, like the 250CF, then you'll have to move to a more recent version of the 5xx series.
    Thanks Alan. What one's would you look at? It's possible that I'd eventually get a longer lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The CFi is the latest model which means, theoretically, that Zeiss and Hasselblad will have their parts for much longer than the CF models.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The more recent 503 CW has the Gliding Mirror System that allows you to view the longer lenses without vignetting. I'm not sure if the 503CX also has it, but I think not. This is also on the 201,203 and 205 cameras (the 205 is just beyond bloody ridiculous in price even used, but a damn nice camera. It's also one of the reasons to get the CFi or CFe lenses. The 200 series cameras have an electronic interface that lets the meter interact with the lens for some degree of auto-exposure).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a 553... they seem to sell cheaply on the bay and I've always enjoyed the motor drive. When blad was the camera to use for NBA I had four of them but when things switched to digi I sold them off and kept the one in the best shape.
    They were so much money new.... but things have changed.

As far as lenses go I like the 120mm macro better than the 150. I've also wanted a 180 for years but just never bought one.

-Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 503 CX that I use with 50mm, 80mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses without a problem. Yes, it vignettes on the telephoto, but that is not really a problem.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The more recent 503 CW has the Gliding Mirror System that allows you to view the longer lenses without vignetting. I'm not sure if the 503CX also has it, but I think not. This is also on the 201,203 and 205 cameras ...
    Gliding Mirror System was first incorprated in the Hasselblad 2000FC and incorporated in all cameras using a focal plane shutter which followed. All motorized cameras from the 500ELX upwards also have GSM. The other two cameras are the 501CM and the 503CW.

Do I need GSM? If a 150mm is your longest lens and you don't do macro simply forget about it. If a 250mm or longer is your favorite glass or you use the bellows or lots of extension quite often, you might prefer to see all of the projected image in the finder on a regular basis.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Peter,

Looks like others have already jumped in and answered your question. I'm pretty sure it was the 503CW, as FlyingCamera said, that introduced the gliding mirror. I've always been very happy with my old 500C/M so, to be honest, I didn't really keep up with the 5xx series as it matured.

All that said, though, I would'nt worry too much about the vignetting with a longer lens (like the 250), if you decide on an older model. The 250CF is the longest Zeiss lens that I own and darkening of the corners (more upper than lower) is really not an issue. I certainly wouldn't make a buying decision based on vignetting (or not) alone. I'd think about how I'm going to use the camera...do I need a winder, for example. If so, you're gonna have to go with a later model.

Good luck with your decision. Whichever model you decide on I'd bet you won't be disappointed.
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 500CM is a fine camera, I have two. And two of the 500ELM, the motor model. All work fine for me with my lenses, up to the old 350mm Tele-Tessar. Mirror vignetting is not a major problem IMO.

These bodies are getting really reasonable. I recently got second 500ELM body, with flip-up finder, two -nice- Varta batteries, an A12 back, and a charger, all for $199, buy-it-now. Not bad, Eh?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin