Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,575   Online: 915

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andingi View Post
    Did you SL66 user get realy sharp pictures
    You have to care not to cut your eyes! Let it have a CLA. The dampers must be broken.

Ulrich

PS For reference have a look at this one. It was taken with my SL66.

Last edited by jd callow; 09-05-2007 at 06:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fixed link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ulrich is correct. The camera needs adjustment. The focal plane is most likely out of alignment.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Everything on my website is shot with a SL66. And for all "Pure Souls" frames the shutter speed was never faster than 1/60th (it ranges from 1/8th to 1/60th). If this camera would always produce unsharp pictures (without a flash)... then it wouldn't have survived in the professional market so long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and thanks for the answers. But the thing is, that it takes sharp and crisp pictures using flash. So out of line adjustment of the screen os mirror can not explain this. I realy think it must be vibration. Does the SL66 has a damper for the shutter?
    Did you SL66 user get realy sharp pictures (sharp: viewing at 8x enlargement you can see details in the centre which are in the resolution of the film).

best regards
    Ingo
    I hate to ask this.. but are you... ummm... using a tripod...??

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    Make sure your focusing screen is placed correctly.
    This is most likely your problem. It can be either the damping foam needs replacing, or the focus is off. I learned the hard way that picking the camera up by the lens, or lens mount can cause the focus to go out.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I hate to ask this.. but are you... ummm... using a tripod...??
    See original posting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    See original posting?
    I dunno - I'm a bit suspicious of that. I can really see no other alternative to his problem if it's actually perfectly sharp with the flash but never at other times. It really seems like a support issue to me. I figured it wouldn't hurt to double-check by asking again...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is really off the wall, but try taking a photo with:
    1) the shutter set at the flash synch speed;
    2) the aperture set to properly expose the shot, based on ambient light; and
    3) the flash connected and turned on, but covered so it doesn't contribute to the exposure.

If you get a sharp photo from this, there is something about the flash synch circuitry that is contributing to the issue (although I cannot for the life of me figure what it might be).

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello together,

I have a problem with my SL66. It producing only sharp pictures using a flash. Without flash, even with a tripot and MLU I get unsharp pictures. Only at shutter speeds faster or equal 1/250 s its getting sharp.
    Let's see, electronic flash is usually 1/1000 or better and if all flash pictures are sharp that would rule out focus screen/focusing problems.

If pictures at 1/250 are getting sharp and 1/500 is okay (again not a focus issue) but speeds less than these are unsharp points directly to a lightweight tripod/handholding or shutter bounce, IMHO.

Don't see that it can be anything else, right off the top without too much examination.

Fred

Shooter
    Medium Format

Project closed

Thanks to all.

To close the project, I like to report about the solved problems concerning unsharp pictures with my Rollei SL66E.

I found a very good and very friendly repair man, how worked for Rollei and still have all the necessary tools and measuring instruments. Though having CLA the camera by FFS in Braunschweig, the friendly repairman found several odd things causing unsharp pictures:
    • the focusing screen was out off line (thats my fault)
    • the lens board was dislined, i.e. unparallel to the film plane
    • infinity stop was out of line. Nice that FFS didn┤t mentioned it, even I pointed it
    • the 150mm lens was very odd, the back lenses have to be moved exactly 1mm to the back. Nice ebay quality. It seems, that the back lenses are from some other 150mm not fitting to the front lenses. (each lens have errors and are collected in that they, that the errors are well "fitting" and the assembley is offering good results). And I was using the 150mm very often...

AND
    the shutter speed was to slow: 1/500 instead of 1/1000.

After adjusting all and also finding a solution for the 150mm tele, the camera works very well and is taking very sharp pictures with all of my lenses.

My suggestion about shutter vibration is wrong. Setting the camera to B and pre releasing the mirror you can observe very well the caused vibration of the first shutter curtain. It is almost nothing. Also the mirror is very soft (The mirror prerelease is almost just for fun. Not like Hassy). Just the mirror back moving is causing a lot vibration, but then the show is over. It is realy possible to take good results with 1/60 by handhold camera and 80mm.

I am very happy to have the SL66 repaired. It is very convinient to me 8using the twin and loving it). Especially the tilt is unique and very helpfull. Some LF performance in an easy to operate camera.

At the end: happy end.

Thanks for the tipps, especially to Ullrich.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin