Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,577   Online: 1167

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rollei FX or GX

Shooter
    35mm RF

Rollei FX or GX

I thought I would post here where the Rollei medium format guys might see it.
    I plan to buy a Rollei FX this fall.... this is the latest current modern version of the classic Rollei F. Now I'm not looking for an older one, but am looking for the current version.

I would consider the GX version as well.... it was up-graded to the FX a few years back.

I know I can get one from ebay almost any week and I might go that route but I thought maybe a fellow aguger might have one in the back closet.
    -Rob Skeoch
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have recently aquired an FX and it is great so far. Much less flare.. none in fact, and definitely sharper at 2.8 than the older Planar or Xenotar. In fact it seems nearly dead on sharp wide open. I actually like the non automat film start.. you roll the film forward till the arrow matches the red dot. Then close the back and advance to the stop. no forgetting to put the leader under the roller and it is just as quick. It is a very solid feeling camera and the shutter has the zzziiiip sound from 15th on down much like my view camera shutters. The surface areas of the camera seem strong and don't damage easily.

One thing you might want to do some research on is the shutter. I am not sure how it is on the GX vs the FX. There has been a lot of talk about the stiffness of the shutter release and the difficulty in hand holding because of it on the GX. I understand that the problem was fixed in the FX. The shutter on mine is a bit stiff as you push it half way to activate the meter, but I have found it easy to tell when you have the shutter pushed to just the point before releasing the shutter. Then pushing it the rest of the way is very smooth and easy. I found it worked more easily after I took off the soft touch thing.

I do wish the camera had a self timer and I wish it took 220. But I decided to own two rolleis. One is a 12/24 2.8F with the Xenotar and the other an FX. If I really need to shoot 220 I use that one.

On whether the money for a new FX is worth it? Hard to say what is worth what but a mint condition 2.8F will cost 2000 or more. A used FX in mint condition will cost more but you get the HFT coated planar.

The stock screen on the new FX was hard for me to focus with. I sent the camera into Harry fleenor for a maxwell screen and it is much much better. The new camera had to have the infinite focus adjusted to make minimum extension the infinite focus. It had been set so that the lens could be racked in too far for infinite.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a GX. For me, the stiffness of the shutter takes much away from the pleasure of using the camera. However, the optical quality is fantastic. I tried an older Rolleiflex in a shop (don't know what model) and the shutter was buttery smooth. It also felt better built.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All right I'm in.
    Years ago I had a Rollei T that I sold on ebay.
    Always felt that was a mistake.
    Yesterday my new Rollei showed up thanks to a tip from Barry Dial about a store near him selling a used GX.
    Now I just need some time to play.
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am curious about which version GX you got and which shutter it came with and is it stiff as ooze says. I found taking the soft touch off my FX made it pretty much exactly the same smoothness as the old F. Last week wasting some film on a little film test the FX Planar definitely out performed the F.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's the GX 75 JAHRE Model.
    Yes, a little stiffer than I would have thought.
    It's in good shape though, and I'm a user not a keeper.
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    OK two more strange questions for you.
    Looking inside the camera are the rollers chrome or black?

#2 when you bring the focus all the way in, as for infinite, is infinitie in focus? Or do you have to take crank the lenses back out just a tiny bit to get infinite in focus?

The second question is because on the 2 FXs I have used, both of the focuses needed to be out a little for infinite. I had to send the camera I kept into harry fleenor to have the infinite focus set so that all the way in was at infinite focus.

Also I don't know if you are happy with the focusing screen in your GX but I was not happy with the stock FX screen at all. I had it replaced with a Maxwell screen and it was much much better. two muches.

Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wow my typing is bad today. I meant infinite focus, and the sentence after that should read ..Or do you have to crank the lenses back out...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The focus seems to be fine.... but I'm not sure about the screen... I might look at the Maxwell screen.
    Rob Skeoch
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rob, I'm glad I could help. I hope the camera works out well for you. How do you like it so far?
    Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin