Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,034   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've tried several folding cameras. I like the voigtlanders and ikontas.But now I use an Agfa Record III, 6x9, uncoupled RF and Solinar lens.

The other records are good too. The Record I doesn't have the RF but an accessory finder will work just as well. They are much cheaper than the Record III. look for the solinar lens. and the integrated finder, not the flip up viewfinder. The Ventura 66 or 69 are renamed and record Is. Not sure if they have a solinar lens though.

Agfas are notorius for leaky bellows though. You'll have to send it to Jurgen for a CLA and new bellows. It costs around $125 but if you decide to sell the camera later you will make the money back. Cameras advertised as rebuilt by certo6 go for much more than others. Almost any folder will need, or will at least be improved, by his care.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Aren't front cell focussing lenses overcorrected at infinity and undercorrected at real close distances? In that case, they should have a "sweet spot" at around 10 meters or so.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Roach View Post
    The other records are good too. The Record I doesn't have the RF but an accessory finder will work just as well. They are much cheaper than the Record III. look for the solinar lens. and the integrated finder, not the flip up viewfinder. The Ventura 66 or 69 are renamed and record Is. Not sure if they have a solinar lens though.

Agfas are notorius for leaky bellows though. You'll have to send it to Jurgen for a CLA and new bellows. It costs around $125 but if you decide to sell the camera later you will make the money back. Cameras advertised as rebuilt by certo6 go for much more than others. Almost any folder will need, or will at least be improved, by his care.
    The Record I came with the Agnar lens. At least the later ones. The Record II could be found with Apotar and Solinar. I have a II with Solinar and Compur-Rapid. I cleaned the lens and shutter, and got new bellows from Jürgen Kreckel. It's an early Record II, so it takes 37,5mm filters. 37mm filters don't fit. So I use it for colour, and my RF-Bessa and Ercona II for b/w (they use 37mm filters).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the old folders it's all about how well the lens standard stays parallel to the film plane. In this respect the 6x4.5 or 6x6 cameras will always have the edge. Judging by your question it would seem that your choice would need to be compact so I would opt for a Voitlander Perkeo for the reasons already outlined or for the plain Ikontas or Nettar. Don't fret about the Novar lens as it is really good when stopped down a little, probably due as much to the solid alignment from these Zeiss folders, about the best of all the folders IMHO. Don't know much about the Certos but they seem popular with other Apuggers and the Agfa Isolettes are also an option.
    It's quite amazing how compact these beasts are when folded up...have fun.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up and old late 1940's/early 1950's Mamiya 6 folder a few years back for $40.00 that I just had CLAd'. I took this camera on a recent trip to California and was astonished on the quality of pictures it takes. Mine has the 75mm F3.5 Olympus Zuiko lens. The attached is a shot taken from the deck of the Queen Mary. Ilford Delta 100 in Rodinal 1+50, F4.0 at 1/50th (or so) hand held.

Jim Bielecki
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Queen Mary Dance.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    Dan, while that's true.. I don't like to lug my hasselblad around on a whim.
    I tend to bring gear with me when I am specifically going somewhere to take pictures. I want something to keep with me in a glovebox, etc.
    That's it exactly Phil. A folder is a great "mad" camera. I keep one in my backpack (my version of a briefcase), lately it's been an Iskra. It's amazing how many great photos there are out there just waiting to be taken during one's lunch hour and at other odd moments.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/2 with f3.5 Tessar. I bought it mainly because I think it is beautiful =). The lens is sharp, but as it is not multicoated, the contrast could be better. The film flatness is also a minor issue in this 6x9 camera. And it is not easy to shoot this pretty dinosaur handheld at times longer than 1/200; the shutter release is in a rather uncomfortable place, I guess that is one reason, the 105mm focal length another. So I don't really think it is a nice camera to shoot with. I have used a 6x6 Super Ikonta (I guess Super Ikonta III) once years ago, and I recall it was much easier to handle.

I also have a Fuji 645W, the old model from early 80s, with 45 mm lens, (equivalent to 28mm for 24x36). It isn't bigger than my Super Ikonta really, shorter but thicker. It has a sharp lens, built in exposure meter and more economical film size, 6x4,5. Of course it isn't a folder, but that can't be the real issue here, size is, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a nice Mamiya 6 on ebay at the momonent. It's very tempting.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    I picked up and old late 1940's/early 1950's Mamiya 6 folder a few years back for $40.00 that I just had CLAd'. I took this camera on a recent trip to California and was astonished on the quality of pictures it takes. Mine has the 75mm F3.5 Olympus Zuiko lens. The attached is a shot taken from the deck of the Queen Mary. Ilford Delta 100 in Rodinal 1+50, F4.0 at 1/50th (or so) hand held.

Jim Bielecki

Shooter
    35mm
    There are some very cheap Agfa Isolette I's around. They are about the length of a 35mm SLR, only an inch wide and will fit into a large jacket pocket. Simple and built very well but with no rangefinder and a limited range of speeds. However with a 400 speed film and setting the aperture to the "red spot" between f8 and f11 to get a large depth of field, none of the limitations need be a problem.

However, if you are looking for a quality step-up from that provided by modern 35mm SLR lenses then if my experience is anything to go by with the Agfa Isolette I you may be disappointed.

I have a Pentax MZ7 as my 35mm camera and it seems to deliver at least the same sharpness as the Agfa.

This may simply be due to the Pentax having a much better lens than the mid 1950s Agfa or there may be another explanation, making my experience unrepresentative.

Without wishing to highjack the OP's thread, I'd be interested to hear the experience of others with the Agfa Isolette I. If it turns out that the Agfa should deliver better quality than my 35mm Pentax then the Agfa is worth a closer look, provided that in built focusing help is not a requirement.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollei fan View Post
    I have a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/2 ...
    correction, My Super Ikonta is a 530/2.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin