Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,324   Online: 962

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A vote for a late model Mamiya Six ([U]not[U] a Mamiya 6). The sharpness and contrast on my two (yes, I have a spare) exceed my Certo6 and Record III with Solinar. The only camera that comes really close is a Ensign 6x6 with a Ross Xpres lens which is also excellent.
    Russ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Perkeo II 6x6 with the 4 element f3.5 Skopar lens. Said to be equal to the Tessar of the period. Very compact and pocketable. I use a Voigtlander accessory rangefinder with it but there are others available and Fotoman currently make them new for their range of cameras, although they're expensive.
    There was one version of the Perkeo (I think it was the E) that had a built in rangefinder but they're comparatively rare and expensive.
    I also have a Bessa I with the 3 element Vaskar f4.5 lens. It takes 6x9 or 6x4.5 on 120 roll film. The Perkeo I also came with this lens as an option. I have one of these as well. Just watch out for the limited shutter speeds on some of these cameras. The Pronto only runs from 1/25th to 1/200th. The more useful Compur-Rapid runs from 1 sec to 1/500th. There is also a Synchro-Compur shutter version. Nice technology with linked shutter and aperture settings and flash synchro at all speeds but they can be a bit more difficult to repair and should probably be avoided.
    Best choice would be the f3.5 Color Skopar lens in the Compur Rapid shutter in either camera, but the Bessa is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the Perkeo. It's hard to find a Bessa with the required mask for 6x4.5 and in any case you have to turn the camera through 90 deg when using the smaller format!
    The Zeiss Ikonta folding cameras were also very good at theis period of time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Super Ikonta Price & info Guide

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/ikonta.htm
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was looking for a small walk-around medium format camera over the summer and got a Minolta Semi-P (or Auto Semi Minolta P - whatever you want to call it.)

Nice little camera, fits in my pocket quite well. No meter, no range finder, no auto anything. It does have hyperfocal lines and it takes quite nice photos. I did a write up on my blog after buying it (with some sample photos) http://life-electronic.net/blog/?p=248

It was about $50 here in Japan so one should be dirt cheap in the US.

As for 6x9, I use an Agfa Billy-Record. Lovely Art Deco design and quite sturdy, but the long bellows make me nervous, and at the rate I shoot, 8 frames ain't much.

Just my $0.02
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an isolette with a 4.5/85 solinar (uncoated) in a compur-rapid. At f8-f16 the lens is bleedingly sharp with contrast you think came from a coated lens. Under optimal conditions, you will be hard pressed to see the difference from my Rolleiflex, or other similar premium MF lenses like my Xenotar or Biometar.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin