Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,461   Online: 1145

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: !

"They" can make lenses longer than 210mm for medium format. Bronica has lenses up to 500mm, Fuji has a 500mm for the GX680, Hasselblad has a 250, 350, and 500mm lenses, Mamiya has a 500mm for the RB/RZ series, Pentax makes a 500, 600, 800, and 1000mm lenses for the Pentax 67. You'll notice, however, that all of these cameras are SLR and provide focusing through the lens itself on a viewfinder screen and not through a range finder mechanism.

If you're talking specifically about the Mamiya 7, I could only guess at the answer. I would think making the range finder work with telephoto image magnification would be very difficult.

The range finder has two windows, and using the parallax between the two windows provides a focus mechanism. The windows probably cannot accomodate the narrow angle of telephoto lenses making it impossible to show when the lens is in focus (much like really wide angle lenses require an auxillary viewfinder for the same reason). Because of the shallow depth of field with longer focal length lenses, this would be a critical issue.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Leica solved this problem (using long lenses) by employing the Visoflex this essentially turned the rangefinder into a single lens reflex. For a medium format camera this would have to be huge and most likely costly. Just a thought.

lee\c

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    sorry I need to re-read ALL the posts before answering so I don't step on anyone elses answers.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am pleased that this subject came up and it is one that I have absolutely no knowledge about. What exactly is the benefit of a range finder system? I understand that Leica is one manufacturer that has used this system and their cameras seem to carry an excellent reputation. Is it the quality of their lenses? Is it the fact that they are rangefinder in design? Thanks for the information that you are able to share.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One big benefit of rangefinders is size and weight.

By eliminating the bulky prism you get with SLRs, you really cut down on weight. You also can make a smaller camera. Plus you eliminate mirror slap and make a much quieter camera.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Donald,

Rangefinders allow the camera to operate without a mirror and in the case of the Mamiya without a curtain shutter. This makes for smooth, silent, motion-free operation while making a picture. The Mamiya can be used a few feet from someone in a quiet room without the person hearing the shutter. You can hand-hold it to a much slower shutter speed than you can an SLR camera. Also, not having a mirror to move and slap out out of the way at the time the picture is made means a much lighter camera. The Mamiya 7ii is one of the lightest cameras of any format, and absolutely the lightest and most compact for a rollfilm format. Leicas, as you are probably more familiar with, are also remarkably light and small. And very rugged for their weight.
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Other advantages to a rangefinder are:

Easier low-light focusing, because you are not dependant on the maximum aperture of the lens.

Better, smaller, often less expensive, wideangle lenses, because you don't need a retrofocus design to get around the mirror.

Leaf shutter lenses will sync at any speed, so if your camera uses leaf shutter lenses, you can use fill flash in bright daylight without the complex electronics required to make a focal plane shutter do that trick.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you for your explanations. I have leaf shutters in my Bronica, but the mirror movement is definitely noticable.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try shooting an ETR off in the basement of York Minster.

THAT is a loud noise! The mirror slap sounds like heavy machinery!
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

ALMOST as loud as the Pentax 67 mirror! I used that in an old Hitler bunker in eastern Poland a couple of years ago and I swear that each time that mirror slapped back down people ducked!

DGH
    David G Hall

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin