Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,831   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Doug I watched it as I advanced to the start mark and the spools seemed straight and on the money. I'll load it up and take it out shooting tomorrow. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Aaron
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke View Post
    Thanks Doug I watched it as I advanced to the start mark and the spools seemed straight and on the money. I'll load it up and take it out shooting tomorrow. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Aaron
    Hopefully it will be OK, but what may be happening is that the film transport is slipping and the film is not advancing enough to release the interlock (which is why it's OK with no film). Try again by all means but I think a CLA is due!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again David The film transport makes perfect sense given what I'm experiencing. I'll give it another shot tomorrow and give Mark a call on Monday to see what he has to say.

Aaron
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isnít the decisive moment or anything like that Ė itís getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, just as a quick update, in a bulk lot of film I got on Ebay, there were a couple rolls on color film that I hadn't planned to do anything with as I mainly bought it for the B&W rolls, so I grabbed one as a tester and the whole roll cycled through fine without a hitch. I dunno, I'll take it out for some real shooting tomorrow and see how that goes.

Aaron
    flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmph, well just finished processing a roll of HP5 that I shot today. Everything looks good. Shot without a hitch today. Not sure what was going on before but, just wanted to say thanks everyone for your help/input. Everything seems fine now, though I'll still give Mark a call tomorrow to make sure.

Happy Shooting,
    Aaron
    flickr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Glad it worked out. I have three Yashicas (D, 12, 124) and love them all. I actually bought the D so I had one to loan out. It's a sickness I guess.

Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis View Post
    The procedure of transport and the handling counterclockwise to cock the shutter is correct for the Yashica Mat 124-G.
    The M-X switch (for flash bulb or electronic flash) has to do with the self timer misfunction on M.

Unfortunately you have a jamming problem with the Mat 124-G. I had the same kind of problems 15 years ago with my first Yashica Mat 124-G. After repair it was OK. Since a few months I have a Yashica Mat 124-G again. The transport mechanism is the weakest point of the Mat 124-G. The Rollei TLR is more heavy duty build in this way so in general it depends how often the Mat 124-G is used. The price-quality of the camera can be tremendous good. Important is the use of a sun hood (bay I) to prevent flare with this camera. The camera is pretty sensible for this. The Yashinon f=80mm/3,5 lens is very good and sharp.

Well after some repair I hope you can enjoy this camera.

Best regards,

Robert
    I have heard the same things about the 124G's film transport as Robert. I have been lucky with my own 124G. So far, at least.

Essentially, the issue is that the dies Yashica were using towards the end of the 124G's production run were beginning to wear and that certain parts could not be produced to the desired tolerances. This causes occasional binding in the film transport mechanism.

For this reason, the 124 is considered more desirable than the 124G.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for chiming in guys aldevo, I read the same thing somewhere about there dies and tolerances towards the end. Oh well, I really can't complain at the price I paid for it. I still think I got a great deal. I only paid $125 w/ 6 month warranty Hopefully that jam wa just an isolated fluke or maybe even operator error.
    flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And just an FYI on Mat 124G gears: According to my local "camera doctor", the gears on the 124G were made of a softer metal than those of the 124. When he CLA'd my 124G, he replaced the gears with those of a 124. Might be a good thing to do at the next rebuild.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it was just your inexperience with loading 120 film, it seems the camera is OK. I bought a 124G more than twenty years ago to see how the picture quality compared with 35mm ( I had a Nikon F2 several Nikkor lenses at the time) the Yashica blew the Nikon out of the waterfor a fraction of the cost.
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin