Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,130   Online: 971

Shooter
    Medium Format

Seagull 4A-107: Checking Shutter Operation

My Seagull 4A-107 TLR has been a good travel camera the past several years. This afternoon I developed a roll that I _thought_ I exposed on my last business trip, and the entire strip was clear. I know the lens cap was off, but there was no evidence of light reaching the emulsion.

This camera is supposed to cock the shutter when the film advances, and its behavior with this last roll of film was no different from before. That is, I'd turn the lever less than a full turn to advance the film, and it would stop turning at the proper place. The shutter seemed to be working.

How can I cock and release the shutter with no film in the camera? I'd like to watch the shutter open and close to verify that it's working. I see no lever or button to depress to fool the camera into thinking there's film loaded and advancing.

Rich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's a little button near the axis of the shutter crank. Push that down, wind your shutter crank backwards a turn, then forward to where it should go. Then hit your shutter release.

I ended up throwing away my Seagull for just this same problem you're having. You can get in the shutter and unstick it, but it's a PITA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Zenrhino. I'll ask the local camera repair shop for an estimate, but it looks like the Seagull's reached its EOL.

I have a completely restored 2x3 Crown Graphic that takes roll film backs as well as sheet film holders. It's larger than the TLR and not as convenient to use, but I'll probably make that my travel camera.

Rich

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin