Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,459   Online: 769
      
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    279
    @Anscojohn:

    Which 645? The early (pre-Super) models were consumer-oriented and not as solidly built as the later pro-oriented models with interchangable backs. And finder separation is a known issue with the prisms on the early M645's.

    The later (Super, Pro, Pro TL) bodies are another kettle of fish entirely. Designed for pro use and much more reliable (Although the Super did have some teething trouble initially).

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    775
    I disagree, the 1000s is a tank. The finders may have bad glue, but the 1000s body seems to be damn hard to break. Even survived a house fire when all my 35mm stuff died from the smoke.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    279
    @Greg_E: The 1000s and it's brethren are noted for having a rather fragile film transport system (which I've been subject to, had to get the film transport on my M645 replaced last month). While the body itself is tougher than the later bodies, the guts are not.

    It doesn't mean they fail often though, any camera that's been around for 30 years and still has a large fraction of the production working is definitely on the 'reasonably reliable' side, and that applies to all the Mamiya 645's.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    775
    What part of the 1000s fails, and is there a warning sign of the impending failure?

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    What part of the 1000s fails, and is there a warning sign of the impending failure?
    Usually the film transport fails, and the warning sign is typically either frame spacing issues or the failure of the counter to reset when loading. The latter is what happened to my M645. The film transport is rather lightly built, I don't think I'd even consider running a winder on any body prior to the Super (And even the Super's beefier film transport is known to have occasional issues with winders).

  6. #26

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    775
    BTW, today I received an email from MAC and they have finally finished destroying the M645... They now have an all/only digital version, no more removeable back. First the viewfinder and motor drive became integrated, now the capture system. I sent them an email expressing my concerns about their fix to a problem that did not exist. I would never buy an AF because I couldn't remove the finder, I'm even less likely to buy this thing (and I like digital for many things). I see this new thing as a flop waiting to happen.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    BTW, today I received an email from MAC and they have finally finished destroying the M645... They now have an all/only digital version, no more removeable back. First the viewfinder and motor drive became integrated, now the capture system. I sent them an email expressing my concerns about their fix to a problem that did not exist. I would never buy an AF because I couldn't remove the finder, I'm even less likely to buy this thing (and I like digital for many things). I see this new thing as a flop waiting to happen.
    Which are you referring to? The 645ZD is not an integrated back system, it's simply a package deal on a 645AFDII body, 80/2.8 AF and the ZD back.

    The ZD DSLR has been around for a while although it never became widely available, and it seems that Mamiya has chosen to pursue the 645ZD model over the integrated model, in fact MAC's website no longer lists the ZD DSLR as a current model, indicating that they've chosen the multiformat route over the integrated platform.

    As to integration, some was inevitable, particularly the winder, which always was awkward as an add-on. I'm not fond of the lack of removable finders either (and was discussing this with a pro digital shooter a couple weeks ago, he was distinctly unhappy with the lack of waistlevel finder, unlike the Hassy H series. The H's have their own issues with excessive integration though)

  8. #28

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    775
    If I still have the email I'll link to the new body, it is no longer a body and back camera, it's all integrated and they do not list the AF or AFD anymore with the ZD back. The 645ZD did not list anything in regard to film backs or exposure counts, and the pictures showed a body that did not look like the back came off. The only thing listed with the ZD back was the RZ Pro IId.

    In that email I also chastised them for not making the ZD back work with the older bodies, it would have been a pretty simple thing to do with an external cord.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    If I still have the email I'll link to the new body, it is no longer a body and back camera, it's all integrated and they do not list the AF or AFD anymore with the ZD back. The 645ZD did not list anything in regard to film backs or exposure counts, and the pictures showed a body that did not look like the back came off. The only thing listed with the ZD back was the RZ Pro IId.

    In that email I also chastised them for not making the ZD back work with the older bodies, it would have been a pretty simple thing to do with an external cord.
    They just updated their site in the last couple weeks. The 645ZD is the current digital 645 system, it is nothing more than an AFDII with the ZD back packaged instead of a film back. The AF and AFD are discontinued (the AF was replaced by the AFD, the AFD by the AFDII). You can just mount a 645AF film back on there instead of the ZD back. Yes, it does appear integrated, the two items were designed to work together seamlessly.

    If you're talking about this camera:

    http://www.mamiya.com/cameras.asp?id=1&id2=2107

    That's the older ZD DSLR that has been discontinued in favour of the 645ZD package deal.

    And the page for the ZD back indicates that they are actively working on compatibility with the older RB/RZ bodies as well as View Cameras, and considering support for the 645 ProTL. Projected availability for the RZ/RB's is around year end or early 2008.

    Mamiya also continues to make the film-only 7II rangefinder.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    775
    This is getting pretty far of the subject, but they could also make the 7II a digital beast if they wanted to, simply add a back that triggers off of the flash connection like the rest and you are almost done. You would want a slim back though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin