Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,753   Online: 923

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I guess I have to keep pondering then. Thank you all again!

A converter sure saves a lot of weight but those are expensive grams. Fortunately, I'm in no rush as the rain will be pouring down the next 4-5 months and I'll be working way too much. My next big goal is to shoot puffins up north in May and I'd like to be able to frame a little tighter than I can today.

Something struck me today when I was reading comments on these lenses. The makro-planar is optimised for short distances, I can understand that, as well as a 100mm being optimized for longer. The question is how big the difference would be between a close-focused makro-planar and a 100mm focused on infinity with an appropriate extension tube to cover the same area? What are the advantages of the makro-planar (if there are any)? Contrast, resolution, sharpness?
    The camera is merely the means of capturing the image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilGil View Post
    Thank you all for your opinions, I appreciate it.

,,, The drawback is the combined weight of over 3kg (almost 7lb), which is 800gr (1.8lb) more than the three lens setup I was thinking about.
    Consider it part of your physical fitness program. I do.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From my experience the 120 makro planar is not good at infinity focus. I found it at best acceptable. The makro planar excells at macro work. I have not tested the 100mm at close up distances so I can not give you an informed answer on that lens at that distance. At greater distances the 100mm is excellent and is superior to the 80mm planar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMO you're not getting much of a "jump" from the 120 if you go for the 180. I've never used the 180 so can't really comment on it, but I do have the 250CF and I've never been disappointed with this lens.
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've sold most of my blad kit but I did have a 40, 60, 80, 120, which I loved, an older 150 silver that wasn't sharp enough, a 165 which was OK at best and a 250. The 40, 60, 120, 165 and 250 I bought new.
    I found I didn't use the 250 very much... I bought it for portraits but ended up using it mostly on a remote camera when shooting NBA or NHL. If I was still shooting with the system I would get the 180.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the 180mm which I find really sharp and better than the 150mm. I needed a slightly more reach over the 150mm that is why I got it for location portraits. I shot with the 250mm lens, but found it too much of a reach for my needs. So now I am down to a swc, 50, 80 and 180mm lens. Am waiting to purchase a teleconverter from a retired photog who never really used his.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin