Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,888   Online: 826

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Images
    The bottom line is, medium format is not a dying breed. You are going to need a camera to attach that digiback to... It isn't like 120 film went out when they started making 220 backs. Every back has its own aplication... botttom line... long live film, god bless mamiya.... good night!
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am doing my part to keep it alive. Plan on buying an additional Mamiya TLR at an upcoming camera show and possibly an extra lens set. There is such a huge jump in image quality from 35mm to MF that I find I leave the 35mm at home most of the time and take the Mamiya along with my LF gear.

I just don't know what film availability will be. I think there will be no problems for several years, but 120 film cameras are not going to be sold in emerging markets overseas, so the volume of film used will continually drop. As with everything else it is a matter of supply and demand. There may come a time when the cost of producing, cutting and packaging MF film becomes unprofitable.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I doubt that. The price may go up, but film production is pretty easy now. We have been doing it for decades and the technology to make a decent piece of film is pretty old. I am sure someone will buy up some of the old film making gear and start a cottage industry. Hell, they still make albumin paper! Now the price may go up, but film will be around for a long while. And 120 is just as easy to make as 35mm.

Remember too film has an amazing user base. Millions upon millions of cameras are out there that use film. As to MF, remember too that a plant producing film stock can easily produce 120 and 220 stock. And film based movie cameras are not going to go away any time soon. If ever.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

I thought 120 was more popular outside of North America and Western Europe ? When you had to wait for a camera you didn't throw away a good 120 just because somebody was selling a new 35mm.

I saw the CEO of Kodak on PBS a couple of months ago saying what Robert just said...that there are two BILLion film users out there, and it will take forever for enough of them to be using digital to put Kodak out of the film business.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David Hall @ Mar 5 2003, 04:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I saw the CEO of Kodak on PBS a couple of months ago saying what Robert just said...that there are two BILLion film users out there, and it will take forever for enough of them to be using digital to put Kodak out of the film business.

dgh </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    The problem with this is that 99.9999% of that 2 billion might be 35 mm users, which might prompt Kodak to say, ah heck we dont need to hassle with MF and LF, lets close down these formats, lay off all the workers and save ourselves a bundle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Mar 5 2003, 03:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The problem with this is that 99.9999% of that 2 billion might be 35 mm users, which might prompt Kodak to say, ah heck we dont need to hassle with MF and LF, lets close down these formats, lay off all the workers and save ourselves a bundle.</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    No, Kodak will or some other company will understand the inverse of economies of scale and charge extortionist prices for the niche market -- MF and the super niche -- LF

On second thought Kodak won&#39;t otherwise they&#39;d be making ektar 25 in small batches and charging 8 or 10 bucks a roll to willing bozo&#39;s like me

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrcallow @ Mar 5 2003, 08:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Mar 5 2003, 03:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The problem with this is that 99.9999% of that 2 billion might be 35 mm users, which might prompt Kodak to say, ah heck we dont need to hassle with MF and LF, lets close down these formats, lay off all the workers and save ourselves a bundle.</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    No, Kodak will or some other company will understand the inverse of economies of scale and charge extortionist prices for the niche market -- MF and the super niche -- LF&lt;p&gt;On second thought Kodak won&#39;t otherwise they&#39;d be making ektar 25 in small batches and charging 8 or 10 bucks a roll to willing bozo&#39;s like me </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Yeah and how about Kodachrome 25? many people were dismayed when they discontinued this. To be fair, some of these films got discontinued due to higher enviromental restrictions, which I think is good. OTOH with the trend of more profits with less or cheaper workforce I would not be surprised if Kodak went the lay off route. Think about it, no more different bases for 35 mm, MF and LF, no more having to cut different sizes, no more different formulations for the different size films. If Kodak went and shut down MF and LF film production now, they would loose very little in income and might even save more by not having to pay all that workforce with the human resources commitments they carry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, people are paying around &#036;14 a roll for Kodachrome 25 on eBay. At prices like that, you can probably find a few people willing to part with their Ektar 25 in the freezer.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    to that guy who lost some images on a cdr, I feel for you. I just recently found out that all cdr&#39;s are not created equal. The cheapo 20 cent disks may only last for a year, if left in bright light forget it, or if played a lot forget it. Some of the high end cdrs seem ok. I use kodak gold cd&#39;s to make family home movie video cd&#39;s (they are supposed to last 100 yrs or so, who knows). I think the kodaks are discontinued now. Verbatim has a new disk that is supposed to be as good, and I think mitsubishi makes some gold cd&#39;s too. Anyway, my days of buying the cheapo 50cd spools for important things are over. I have also heard of people pulling out their stored cd&#39;s to find a metal eating bacteria has infested it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin