Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,079   Online: 1209

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    By the way, Arrowkey has this software that is close to the CDRTest I'm using called CD-R Diagnostics. It can determine the readability of CDR's by testing in a fashion close to what this old proggie I'm using does.

Interestingly enough, they have a new program called CDRx Data Retriever. It's used to get data off of BAD CD-R's. Hmm.

Download their demo and give it a try. I'm gonna try the CDRx Data Retriever and a couple of CDs (after the CDs visit my steel wool bin).

http://www.cdrom-prod.com/

'===============

OH, and BTW, the current consenus on permenantly deleteing CD's is not to shatter them. They can be glued back together forensically! Put the disc in a microwave (obviously one you don't wanna cook food in) and set for 10-15 seconds. It'll blow the foil off. Then, melt the disc into a pile and then, crush or powderize the acrylic pile with a hammer. Seriously. That's how you do the equivalent of a DOD-Wipe on a hard drive!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Mar 2 2003, 07:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> What I really found sad is that Hasselblad knuckled under and went to 645 and a &quot;digital&quot; ready camera. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    ... &#39;blad has been 645 capable with the A16/A36 645 film magazines for years, and the first dit capture magazines for MF were for guess what brand?

What&#39;s new on the 645AF &#39;blad is the AUTOFOCUS ... not the 645 format or the dit capability, both of those were already there.

BC
    ... BC was here!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Camera ready is not the same as designing a new system enterily around 645.
    With the A36 backs I had the choice of doing 6x6 or 645, not anymore.
    Although the first digital backs were for the hassy, they were an add on type of deal, not the current full interface that Hasselblad has created.
    Autofocus was expected once Rollei got it. I think the susprise was the departure from 6x6 and cameras made in Sweeden with German made glass, to a Japanese made, smaller format autoeverything camera with Japanese glass.
    I have nothing against Japanese cameras, my first cameras were Nikons, but lets face it, as good as the Fuji lenses are, they are not Carl Zeiss. I can tell you my Sonnar T* 180 lens is one of the most beautiful portrait lenses I have ever used, somehow I doubt Fuji can come up with the same great lenses Zeiss did.

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    You&#39;re right Jorge, friends of mine at a camera shop and I were comparing some shots off of Nikon glass and Zeiss glass. (85/1.4 on an F5 and 85/1.4 MT Japanese on RX body) and the Nikon glass has less contrast, less punch, and less edge sharpness than the Zeiss glass. The T* coating does a lot to prevent color fringing and keep the darker colors from turning dark.

Shooting in studio lighting, controlled, with 400UC on a Noritsu processor on Supra paper. Lens hoods (compendum shades) adjusted to maximum shading without vignetting.

So what if the Nikon will focus faster and quieter...who cares if the body shoots faster...the glass is what makes the difference&#33;

Shooter
    Large Format
    Right Doc, I think it is an issue of quality vs conenience. Perhaps as a LF user I am more used to work a little bit slowly to obtain better quality, but IMO hasselbald went the convenience route with the H system.
    BTW I had the same results with my nikon 210 for my 4x5 against the Schnieders. The German lenses have more punch and a greater contrast definition, at least in my prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jorge,

I would like to hear more about your tests (scientific or otherwise) between Nikkor and Schneider lenses. I noticed the same thing myself in my prints, but have been assured resoundingly that all current LF lenses are of such quality that one cannot see such things with a naked eye.

That print you showed me that was a 4x5 enlargement but looked EXACTLY like an 8x10 contact print...what did you use to make that?

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mine are very unscientific, it is something I have noticed over time, seems the negs made with german lenses had better contrast and were easier to print. I think the print you are talking about was made with the Hasselbald and the 80 mm lens, this was the flower on a tequila bottle....yep, them bottles do serve another purpose..

Jorge,

No, the one I am thinking of is a doorway. Remember how we both commented that it had that sharp local contrast thing going that made it glow like a 8x10 contact? Maybe that&#39;s the german lens contrast you are talking about?

dgh

David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ah yes, no that one was done with the Nikon lens but it was not as easy to print as others taken with the german lenses.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin