Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,667   Online: 945

Shooter
    Medium Format

Some RZ67 questions

Will RB67 finders work on an RZ67?

If I had an RZ body with an AE finder, is there a manual metering mode that could be used with RB lenses (if there is, I assume the lens would have to be stopped down)?

What are the differences between an RZ67 and an RZ Pro II?

What kind of reputation to RZ lenses have as far as reliability of their shutters?

TIA for any input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using a RZ pro body with a RB finder and RB lenses. My finder is non-metered so can't answer the second question. #3...don't know. #4 have only heard good things about them...though don't have any. The RB lenses are great.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by max_ebb View Post
    Will RB67 finders work on an RZ67?
    If I had an RZ body with an AE finder, is there a manual metering mode that could be used with RB lenses (if there is, I assume the lens would have to be stopped down)?
    What are the differences between an RZ67 and an RZ Pro II?
    What kind of reputation to RZ lenses have as far as reliability of their shutters?
    TIA for any input.

I use a PD prism finder on my RB67 body.
    http://www.mamiya.com/products/defau...09&ID3=210&Z=6

However, I read in some Mamiya literature (have to find it again) that you cannot/must not use a PD prism finder on an RZ67ii body. I am not sure about the RZ67 body though. On the PD finder, there is an area of the flange that will short out your RZ67ii circuitry (bad). That is why I had to purchase a AE Prism2 model FE701 to use on my RZ67 body.

I can use my RB67 lenses on the RZ67ii, but I must turn the shutter dial to RBL setting (turning off the AE finder link), and then use the shutter speed and aperature on the RB67 lens body. However, when I use my 1 RZ lens on the RZ67ii, the AE Prism fe701 works great - taking care of a number of functions in the RZ lens and the RZ67ii body.

If you need them, you can download manuals here in PDF:
    http://www.mamiya.com/pages/default....25&ID3=327&Z=1

You may find some helpful answers here:
    http://www.mamiya.com/pages/default.asp?ID=334&ID2=336

Finally, go to this site... there are a whack of PDFs of various RZ67 and RB67 manuals. It is here that I think I read about the problems of using a PD prism on the RZ67. In any event, there's lots of good material here...
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/...ccessories.htm

Hope this gets you closer... Good luck!

" Be happy. Take a silver break today !!!"
    MP_Wayne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses so far. I will probably be getting the regular RZ67 Pro, not the Pro II. At least for a while, I will only have one RZ lens, and the KL lenses I already have. I want to try the 110mm f2.8 lens. Anybody have any experience with that lens.

Quote Originally Posted by MP_Wayne View Post
    I can use my RB67 lenses on the RZ67ii, but I must turn the shutter dial to RBL setting (turning off the AE finder link), and then use the shutter speed and aperature on the RB67 lens body.
    What I was wondering is if I could use the shutter dial (with the AE finder set to manual metering mode) with the lens stopped down to determine the shutter speed I need, then set the shutter speed on the lens to what the dial is set to when the meter is centered, then set the dial to RBL before shooting.

I have one other question I forgot to ask. Can the focus screen from an RB be used on an RZ? Not the whole thing including the frame, just the screen itself. I was wondering if I could take it out of the RB frame and put it in an RZ frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using a 110mm f2.8 lens with an RZ since early summer, and the lens is great! I make portraits for the most part, and shoot wide open... rarely stop down past f5.6. The most recent uploads in my gallery were shot with this lens. It's an excellent lens for portraits.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the responses so far...
    I have one other question I forgot to ask. Can the focus screen from an RB be used on an RZ? Not the whole thing including the frame, just the screen itself. I was wondering if I could take it out of the RB frame and put it in an RZ frame.
    Given the rock bottom prices on focus screens these days, why bother trying? Just buy what you need. I recently picked up a brightscreen (after market) focus screen for my RZii for only $50 (new price $250+) and it gives me +2 stops more brightness than the standard RZ focus screen. Spend your time taking photos instead. My 2-bits...

MP_Wayne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Given the rock bottom prices on focus screens these days, why bother trying? Just buy what you need.
    I have a bright screen with a grid and a 45° split focus that I really like. If it fits into an RZ focus screen frame, and it's as easy to change the screen in an RZ frame as it is with an RB frame, I'd rather just do that than spend $50 for another screen (assuming I could find one like the one I have).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a bright screen with a grid and a 45° split focus that I really like. If it fits into an RZ focus screen frame, and it's as easy to change the screen in an RZ frame as it is with an RB frame, I'd rather just do that than spend $50 for another screen (assuming I could find one like the one I have).
    OK - the bright screen I snagged for my RZ67ii is a grid. I dug out my RB67 and RZ67 screens for comparison. Here's the tale of the tape:

RB67 frame: 86mm long side x 70mm narrow side x 7mm thick
    RB67 glass: 77mm long side x 67mm narrow side x 2mm thick (thick estimated)

RZ67 frame: 75mm long side x 70mm narrow side x 4mm thick
    RZ67 glass: 73mm long side x 68mm narrow side x 3mm thick (all estimated as the frame is sealed on the glass).

It does not look like it will be as easy on the RZ screens as on the RB screens. It looks there are small snaps to bend out of the way on the RZ frame. However, it looks like you may need to do some trimming of the edges on the RB67 focus glass to make it fit the RZ67 frame.

Why not sell the RB67 screen and use the proceeds to get the RZ67 screen?

Sounds like a lot of work for me when I'd rather be taking pix or making prints. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck!

Hope my measurements have helped you...

MP_Wayne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK - the bright screen I snagged for my RZ67ii is a grid. I dug out my RB67 and RZ67 screens for comparison. Here's the tale of the tape:

RB67 frame: 86mm long side x 70mm narrow side x 7mm thick
    RB67 glass: 77mm long side x 67mm narrow side x 2mm thick (thick estimated)

RZ67 frame: 75mm long side x 70mm narrow side x 4mm thick
    RZ67 glass: 73mm long side x 68mm narrow side x 3mm thick (all estimated as the frame is sealed on the glass).

It does not look like it will be as easy on the RZ screens as on the RB screens. It looks there are small snaps to bend out of the way on the RZ frame. However, it looks like you may need to do some trimming of the edges on the RB67 focus glass to make it fit the RZ67 frame.
    Thanks for the info. That pretty much answers that question. I guess I'll sell the RB brite screen and keep an eye out for one for the RZ (I'll be getting an RZ body and film back delivered tomorrow).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. That pretty much answers that question. I guess I'll sell the RB brite screen and keep an eye out for one for the RZ (I'll be getting an RZ body and film back delivered tomorrow).
    So sorry it did not work out for you - but at least you avoided the grief of attempting it "on spec" (and possibly avoided making your RB brightscreen unmarketable).

MP_Wayne

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin