Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,911   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: hand-held MF?

Images

hand-held MF?

Is there a medium format camera that is easier to use hand-held than my Hasselblad? How might the trade be, dollar wise? I have a 150mm lens and an 80.

My 35mm images are consistently better, though of course the large negative is more desirable. I do have rather bony, delicate hands.

I just don't get what I like when I'm dragging a tripod. Thanks.

Janet

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure exactly what you don't like about the Hassleblad but there are plenty of handholdable MF cameras.

The various Fuji RF. Ranging from 645 to 690. The 645 can be very basic or gadget wonderfull.

The various 645 SLRs. I like the Bronica ETRSI with a waistlevel but the Pentax 645 is very 35mm like. If you strip the Bronica down to just the basics [body,back,lens and waist finder ] it's fairly light. Add a grip and it's even nicer to hold.

No idea about trade value but in general the Hassleblad will have higher selling prices then any/most of the choices I've mentioned.

Images
    >>>I'm not sure exactly what you don't like about the Hassleblad<<<

I don't do well with it hand-held. I find it awkward and bulky. Before I ditch it (*if* I do) I think I'll make myself shoot with it on the run more and see if I can make it work for me, but I'd love something with a different feel to it that shoots 120. Holga doesn't count for this question.

Janet

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Mamiya 7II that works quite well hand held. Nice large negs, very good lenses.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Medium-format SLRs tend to be made mainly with tripod use in mind - before you sell your Hasselblad or spend a lot of money, try it with an L-handle or other grip, preferably one with a built-in shutter release.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with David, try an L grip. I have one for my RB67 and find it fairly easy to hand hold despite the RB67 being similar to an anvil in size and weight!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't used a 6x6 hand held for years but do use my Mamiya 645 still for work occasionally. But a MF camera with a leaf shutter and no mirror is far easier to hold steady, even on a tripod the mirror slap will knock the edge of sharpness which is why you use the mirror up function

Currently I'm shooting with a 6x17 hand-held and the results are definitely sharper than using the 645 hand held.

So using a range-finder MF camera makes a lot of sense.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-08-2007 at 09:15 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    As previously mentioned, the Mamiya 7II's the obvious choice. Works great with lenses from 43mm to 150mm. It's lighter than most modern SLRs and there's no mirror vibration. You can get away with slower shutter speeds and still get crisp(ish) negs.
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    Is there a medium format camera that is easier to use hand-held than my Hasselblad? How might the trade be, dollar wise? I have a 150mm lens and an 80.

My 35mm images are consistently better, though of course the large negative is more desirable. I do have rather bony, delicate hands.

I just don't get what I like when I'm dragging a tripod. Thanks.

Janet
    g'day Janet

maybe your question should be, how do i get the best out of the equipment i have on hand? or how/what techniques should i learn to improve my images when hand holding my mf camera?

erl
    Shooter
    35mm
    Without being too obvious, are you holding the Blad correctly? This is pretty important to achieve steady release. I have worked most of my life with Blad as the only work tool, and most of that handheld. Yes, you can spoil some pics, but I always blame the operator (me) for most of that. Understanding which lenses will go "how slow" in your hands is vital. Do not exceed the reality, or suffer. I actually find currently that I spoil more pics with my Leica, because I tend to push the limits, than I do with the Blad simply because I understands its limits better. So often, failure is the responsibility of the photographer rather than the camera.

The attached image taken very recently was handheld using a 150mm @ about 1/90th sec. Too slow in my estimation, but I got away with it! Normally, I would opt for a min. handheld at 1/250th.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails QH15269_07.jpg  

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin