Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,635   Posts: 1,648,135   Online: 1138

Shooter
    Medium Format

RB67/RZ67; special focus screen for macro?

Someone was just telling me that there is a special RB67 focus screen for macro work. This doesn't make any sense to me. I don't know what the difference could possibly be. Is the guy completely mistaken, or is there something I'm missing? Anybody else heard of such a thing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mamiya has an updated site, Mamiya.com. It shows a screen called a CROSS HAIR screen that is more suited to macro than other screens. I have never used it, so I can't say if it is better. (I use a RZ67)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Max, in macrophotography or any other work in which extremely-low light or narrow-aperture issues arise, most of focusing-aid devices become unuseful (microprism and split image turn totally black, the fresnel lens appears as a confusing pattern, ground glass is too dark to see anything, etc.).

In these cases, special screens like the said "cross hair" may be useful to get precise focusing. These screens have a central circular portion which is completely transparent (that is "not ground"), except for a very thin "cross" drawn in the center. The subject is in focus when you see "focused" both the cross and the aerial image passing through the transparent area, as if they were somewhat "superimposed" in space.

As you can guess, using cross-hair focusing glass is somewhat tricky and requires experience, but is the ultimate solution when everything else fails.
    Last edited by Marco Gilardetti; 10-10-2007 at 07:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't know about this particular screen, but some macro screens also have scales for determining the exact magnification ratio.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses. At least now I understand the reasoning for having a focus screen specifically for macro work. As far as low light issues, I haven't had any problems with that as of yet, but it's nice to know about the cross hair screen if I ever do have issues with low light focusing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin