Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,689   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad 50mm CF vs CF FLE

Funds are limited and I'm facing a decision on a non FLE lens versus a FLE. Both are the CF model.

Its mostly for b+w landscapes.

Do I break the bank for the FLE?
    Oh and are both Bay 60?

Fintan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The FLE is nice for shots that will involve close focusing? The FLE corrects for distortion at closer objects and helps even that out. A non FLE lens can have some edge distortion on close up shots. I believe the CF and CF (FLE) both use Bay 60 mounts. The CFi variant is where it changes to a Bay 70.

I have the CFi version and it's a wonderful lens. I can certainly vouch for it's ability. FLE is a great tool as long as you use it corerctly and make sure to set the FLE prior to final focusing. Otherwise even shots made at infinity can be soft at the edges.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 50mm CFE and have had a CF (Stolen) they are both bay60
    The CFE is very nice but i don't have close up shots to know the difference.

jan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You'll do fine with the CF non-FLE model. It's what I use. Less complicated. Once less ring to have to fuss with on the lens.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought a CFi FLE in bargain condition for KEH for $1000.

When it arrived, I could not tell it from a new lens.

As for the performance. It's a terrific lens and one of my
    favorite to use. A great perspective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never owned or used the FLE version of the 50mm, but I do own and use the pre-FLE 50CF. My understanding is that the floating element comes into play mostly for close focussing. That said, though, I've used my older 50CF at distances of about 1 - 2 feet focussing on engravings on headstones and I've never been disappointed with the results. Would I be able to see a difference in my standard print sizes between the two? Dunno. I'd have to shoot both side-by-side and I've never cared enough to pursue this initiative.

I think you'd be well served and very happy with the pre-FLE CF or CFi; especially if funds are limited.

Good luck!
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere I think I've read the CF is the same formula as the old C, just mounted in the updated barrel and new style shutter.

Can't verify where I read it, but do seem to remember.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fintan,

as has been noted, the non-FLE Distagon is the same design as the old C which I use and like a lot. Its only downside is corner performance when not stopping down enough which makes it pretty much usable at f11 to f22 only if you need the corners to be critically sharp. For me this is not an issue as I have the camera on a tripod and use it on static subjetcs.

Kornelius Fleischer from Zeiss (who went under the pseudonym of Kornelius Müller/Mueller at that time) wrote about the differences between the two lenses on photo.net in length. He said that the improvement in corner performance should be easy to spot close up as well as at infinity.

best

Stefan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin