Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,564   Online: 1283

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A very simple slide rule for exposure I like : http://expomat.tripod.com/

In Canada I also get sunny f/11 most of the year. Shadow is f5.6. Except for the hour or two before sunset, it's pretty reliable. But yeah, the DSLR should give you an idea. Match it with received wisdom like the sunny rule, and it should tell you whether you're in the right ballpark.

Daylight photography is very easy without a meter; studio photography isn't.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my DSLR as a ligtmeter with my BW negs and color chromes (MF and LF) with success. Just try to comapre your reading to some other SLR to be sure. Put on longer lens and set the camera it to spot metering mode if you want to simulate the spotmeter. I find it a bit cumbersome but at the time being the Pentax DIgital Spotmeter I would like to get is beyond my buget too.

good luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jeffery View Post
    When finances permit, you can always pick yourself up a Weston Master V. I just picked one off Ebay for £18, complete with Invercone and case. Just be careful to get one that's fully working, otherwise it'll cost a few pounds to get it serviced.
    I got my first MF during the "summer" and was lucky enough to have a Weston V, which is in permanent loan from my Father, however as it had been a loooong time since I used the Weston V I wanted to check it against something so for the first few rolls not only did I bracket but I took a reading on the Weston V then on my Minolta 800si (35mm Film) and Sony A100 (Digital), I actually found that they all matched, so from my perspective the answer to Geoff's question is that using your DSLR will work.

I would second Brian's suggestion of getting a Weston V, they are relatively cheap and a great little meter. If you get one and need a manual let me know and I'll scan my original manual for you.

Enjoy the MF, I have to say that I'm really pleased that I took the plunge!

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest that you use sunny 16 (or sunny 11, or sunny 8, as circumstances dictate) and then use the meter in the digicamera to check your results.

That way, you will get into the habit of evaluating exposure, rather than just reading exposure off a dial/display.

This allows you to build up your experience and judgment, and will increase the likelihood that your exposure choices will be based on decisions, rather than gadgets.

It also means that in many cases you'll be able to photograph even when the batteries on your equipment give out!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats a new definition of Digital spotmeter
    Before I got a spotmeter I used my F90X as meter for MF nightshots. I probably would do that again since it is easy to read in the finder where my Minolta meter can be a bit fidly
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used a 35mm camera for a meter for quite a while when I first started shooting MF and it worked very well. After reading this thread, just out of curiosity, I compared my DSLR (in spot meter mode) to my Pentax digital spot meter and they match up perfectly.

I also use the digital camera sometimes instead of a polaroid back to test certain long exposure situations where a light meter is useless.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've shot a few rolls now, and exposing using either the Eos 400d or the Eos 1n seem to give good results. The meters on both the cameras seem to give identical readings.

I'll try and get some contact prints done and scan the results, but I'm definately happy with the results of my first few MF rolls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin