Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,440   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Beginner Question - Exposure

I've just bought my first MF camera, (501CM) which is manual everything.

Unfortunately, my piggy bank is now completely empty, so I can't afford an exposure meter for a little while. Can I use the meter on my digi-slr, if i set the ISO to 400 on the dslr, and use HP5 in the 501, and then set the same speed and aperture setting as the meter on the digital camera reads, on the other camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That should be close enough.

If you bracket shots on the first roll of film, and keep notes, then you will see how closely the DSLR meter corresponds to the speed of HP5+ in your chosen developer. You might end up setting the meter to a different speed for the best results.

Alternatively, you should be able to pick up a older used meter like a Weston Master for a few quid on eBay.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or try this: http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Print out the tables and carry them with you.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know about the DSLR question, but since in digital you get a positive as a result of exposure instead of a negative, then it might be that the exposure will not be the same for film----I'm totally digital ignorant but that's what comes to mind. Slide film is also a "positive" result of exposure and one should base exposure on ensuring the important highlight detail rather than exposing for the shadows; thus, slight underexposure with slide film is usually more preferable.

Don't forget the "Sunny 16 rule" with film. On a bright sunny, cloudless day, the exposure for HP5 (ISO 400) would be to use an apeture of f/16 with a shutter speed being the reciprocal of the ISO, i.e. 1/400. This will work generally speaking, and you could provide a +1 compensation value to this to gain more density in the deeper shadows i.e. open up to f/11 "OR" slow the shutter to 1/250 sec. and then provide reduced development to control the highlight densities on the negative. Also, don't forget the other exposure suggestions that may be on the box the film came in.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless your 501 is beat up and the shutter is dragging (you can sorta eyeball this at the slower speeds), go with Chuck1's suggestion. The Sunny16 rule works very well! HP5+ is pretty forgiving stuff so for those first 100 or so rolls you do in the next week you should be fine!
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think it may be closer to sunny 11 in england this time of year I'll bracket a lot of shots, then I'll be able to decide if the meter on the dslr (a canon 400d) looks about right for HP5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to carry a homemade exposure slide rule when using my unmetered Zorki. I drew it up in Works, printed it out and laminated the two parts. Here it is: The top row of figures on the insert is the ISO. You find the ISO you want in the small window, then in the large window read off conditions against the F-stop to give you the shutter speed.

(click pictures to see larger).

Last edited by Andy K; 10-10-2007 at 10:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffHill View Post
    I think it may be closer to sunny 11 in England this time of year.
    I have a 'Johnson Standard Exposure Calculator' which my father gave me a few years ago.

It is printed plastic with a rotating disc inside a holder and has shutter speeds and apertures which line up in a window. The inner disc also has notches so you can move it around.

To work out the exposure you need to determine four things:

1. Month and time of day (one table)
    2. Scene type
    3. Weather
    4. Film speed (given in BSI and Scheiner values ISO 100 = BSI 31)

You start with the disc in a pre-determined position and then 'dial in' the four variables. You then end up with the corrosponding shutter and aperture combinations.

The reason for all this rambling is that I agree, the time of year does make a bit of difference and according to this calculator, there is a one stop difference between July to August, 10:00 to 15:00 and September to October, 10:00 to 15:00.

i.e. In September and October (and March and April) it is Sunny f11.

And from November to February it's Sunny f8!

Steve
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When finances permit, you can always pick yourself up a Weston Master V. I just picked one off Ebay for £18, complete with Invercone and case. Just be careful to get one that's fully working, otherwise it'll cost a few pounds to get it serviced.

If you're using HP5 Plus then you'll probably get away without using a meter as the exposure latitude is pretty good with this film.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Jeffery; 10-10-2007 at 09:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo

Shooter
    35mm
    Since negative film has a far greater exposure range than digi, you might find a 1/3 to 1/2 over exposure gives a better negative. Its generally better to err on the side of over exposure with film, as you can manage to print even very thick negatives, but it is difficult to print what is not there. The meter in your DSLR should do fine in general situations, but depending on your developer, you may not get the rated speed of the film,as said previously. If your first roll is thin, adjust the ASA/ISO and nothing else, so you may, for instance decide that HP5 is a 320 for you. Shooting film gets confusing when you change more than one variable, because it becomes difficult to figure out what did what.

Congratulations on your new camera, and happy shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin