Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,107   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film packs

Shooter
    Medium Format

I've used film packs

Good morning gentlemen,
    I was stationed with the Air Force at Shaw AFB, South Carolina from 1971 until 1975. Virtually ALL B&W work was shot with 4x5 inch Tri-x FILM PACK, exposed through a Super Speed Graphic. Yes, we would "rob" the pack to save film. We developed them in trays, in I think "Armed forces developer #3". Studio portraits were shot on regular 4x5 cut film, Plus-x I recall, using a C-1 Deardorff with a reducing back and developed in 4 sheet racks in 3.5 gallon tanks. Yes, you pulled the tab, either left it in place OR tore it off. I usually left it in place and wrote captions on it. With the wind up front shutter I could make one exposure every 6 seconds. They were fast and large capacity. It was thin base film and very sharp. We printed them in Omega enlargers with a glass carrier for flatness. In 1975 I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath UK. I continued to use Film packs occasionally until about 1980. I've used 2 1/4x3 1/4 several times and perhaps 3 1/4x 4 1/4 once. I truly wish they were still available today. O, I forgot to say, don't EVER pull one of the tabs out of numerical order. I just remembered, I've even seen them in 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 postcard format!
    All the best,
    Sam H.
    Last edited by Samuel Hotton; 10-19-2007 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Samuel. Very interesting information.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film Packs

Yes, us old timers used these. I used them on both a 2x3 bush presssman and 4x5 Crown graphic. Lot's of paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I used hundreds of them when they were in production. They were loaded with film on a roll film base. The tab was handy for notes and the 16 sheets in the space of one double film holder saved a lot of space and weight. It was a simple matter to use part of a pack, remove the exposed sheets in the darkroom and keep the rest for another session.

I am down to my last 10 packs of Tri-X and guard them carefully. I use them when I expect to carry the 4x5 long distances.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not familar w/ the mamiya film packs but with the 4x5 graflex film pack adapter and kodak tri-x and plus-x packs. I love the system. My packs expired in 1980, film is relatively unfogged. It is very thin and I agree that it is very, very sharp.

I wish it were still made, i'd give everything else up for this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have some TriX film packs in the freezer - 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5. It is a simple process to "rob" the pack to process a couple of sheets either in by tray processing or in a Nikor 4x5 tank. They take up a lot less space then conventional holders and are lighter to haul around.

Regards
    Gord

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin