Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,222   Online: 943

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    About 50% square, 50% rectangle.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm probably a bit weird. I set up to print 8x10 and if the negative is square, I centre it in the rectangle and leave the spacing inbetween the neg to form black edges. With the Ilford Sporti I use, it very slightly vignettes so it gives a sort of soft edge anyway. It doesn't look weird if you're using slightly thin negs or where there's lots of black in the shot anyway (interior church photos of a wedding for example).
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    let the negative tell me what to print. I try to fill the frame in the filed, but sometimes when I see it on the baseboard it needs a crop.

Mike

Ria

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    By the way, a square is a rectangle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pretty cool using an Ilford Sporti for weddings. If I had known that I would have you booked you for mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    I'm probably a bit weird. I set up to print 8x10 and if the negative is square, I centre it in the rectangle and leave the spacing inbetween the neg to form black edges. With the Ilford Sporti I use, it very slightly vignettes so it gives a sort of soft edge anyway. It doesn't look weird if you're using slightly thin negs or where there's lots of black in the shot anyway (interior church photos of a wedding for example).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I have a question for all the folks that shoot square: How do you print your photographs? Do you print square? Do you crop in the darkroom and print in a "traditional" ratio?
    I crop with the camera. If I want a square print, I shoot a square negative. And conversely.

Ed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp View Post
    Pretty cool using an Ilford Sporti for weddings. If I had known that I would have you booked you for mine!
    Ah I only did it as a favour for a friend who isn't very picky but just likes my printing/photography. Didn't even know if it was going to work at all, darkest venue ever. Metered it as far as my little light meter could take it (3200) and saw I needed about 1 stop more for it to be within the aperture/shutterspeed range of the sporti so developed it as EI 12500 in microphen (1 stop more than my expected EI of 6400).
    I think her requirements was "use those weird cameras you have" and B&W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.jpg   07.jpg   05.jpg  
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice stuff Mr 14

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was printing primarily 16x20 when I was shooting 6x6 (with a few 20x24). The main reason I switched to 6x7 was that I prefer the more traditional rectangle shaped prints, and I was essentially shooting 6x4.5 with the cropping.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    If you crop a rectangle from the top of the frame, it's like shooting a horizontal shot with front rise on a view camera, so there are some attractions to cropping with 6x6 over shooting 645.
    Cropping from the top would be using more of the edge of the lens and less of the center. Can that really considered comparable to using movement on a bellows camera or using a shift/tilt lens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ria View Post
    By the way, a square is a rectangle.
    That's true. A square is also a polygon, and a parallelogram.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin