Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,653   Online: 711

Shooter
    Multi Format

Super-Angulon 65mm - Center Filter?

I will be getting a Schneider Super-Angulon 65mm f/5.6 lens for a Linhof Super Technika V 6x9. Does this lens need a center filter? Thanks in advance.

Images
    I shoot a 65mm f8 Ilex Acugon on 4x5 and don't use a center filter for it. I only shoot B&W but haven't seen a need for the filter. The f5.6 will have even more coverage and using it to shoot 6x9 instead of 4x5, I would think that a center filter would not be needed unless, maybe, you're using a lot of movements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like r-brian, I have a 65/8 Ilex. I shoot it on 2x3 (6x9 in metric), don't see the need for a center filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an old Sinar 65mm f8 Super Angulon (barrel-mounted, with Norma Rabbit Ears), and for 4x5, I prefer to use the matching Schneider Center Filter. Shooting 4x5 chromes, it -does- help. You can clearly see it. Despite the fact that it is a teeny little lens, I really like it alot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the S-A 65mm f5.6 on 4x5, and have two of the the S-A 65mm f8s that I use on 4x5 and 6x9. On 4x5 I almost always use the centre filter, and it is a necessity for almost all work on colour transparency. On 6x9 (with the f8) I hardly ever use it - for B&W you probably don't need it at all, for colour slide it might be useful on ocassion but certainly isn't going to be an essential.

Both 65s are very nice lenses. The f5.6 will give you masses of movement on 6x9. I bought mine from an architectural photographer who was retiring and had used it on 6x9 for a good proportion of her work on interiors.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your input and advice. The lens won't arrive for several days and I am looking forward to trying it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I usually use the center filter (now that I have one) with my 65/8 Super-Angulon on 4x5", but I haven't used it on 6x9 enough to know whether it's necessary.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For 4x5" and 612 slide, I use a center filter with my Nikon 65/4; for b&w I don't bother.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin