Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,719   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Would like to start MF

I have a Beselar 67 enlarger. I shoot a holga, so I know how to develop it.

I was recently in toronto and looked a photo from china. I think it was 30x40.

The person there said that it was MF, scanned. I would like to print my own MF, and would like to get a real MF camera [no seagull,lubitel] I would like preferably 645 with RF, or a 6x6.

So, in conclusion, I'm asking what:

Camera in 600$ with lens, used

Enlarger lens.

Negative holder.

I should get.

Thank you all!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're stuck on a RF then I think the only modern choice in your budget is one of the Fuji fixed lens cameras.

If you can live with a SLR more choices. Bronica ETRSI should be well within your budget. Pentax 645 likely. I'd also expect the older Mamiya 645 to be possible.

Depends on what features you want. The Bronica is a leaf shutter. The Pentax will have a built in meter and winder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can live with a SLR, just RF is lighter.

I have a Pentax spotmeter v, if that matters.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're thinking of 6x6, a Mamiya C2xx/C3xx should be well within your budget. It's a big brick, but it's very versatile.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marko, haven't seen you for a while, must be heavy going at school.

One of the interesting things about the Fuji 645 folder camera I once owned, is that the film gate is in portrait mode, when the camera is held normally to the eye.

35mm film is in a landscape mode, when the camera is held normally.

Therefore, if you wish to do a lot of landscape photography with a Fuji and/or many other 645 cameras, you may decide to go the 6x6 route instead. Certainly saves you turning the camera sideways for a landscape.

A 75mm enlarging lens will cover 6x6, I personally prefer 80mm for 6x6. As your enlarger is a 6x7 type, why not get something that will cover up to 6x7. This means that when you get any negative from 645 through to a 6x7 negative from either your camera or somewhere else, you can comfortably enlarge it.

I personally use a 105mm lens for enlarging 645 through to 6x7 negatives. The trade off is that for a given enlargement of the smaller 6x6 format you will have to lift the head slightly higher.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    They are slightly more expensive, but the mamiya rangefinders are great. i saw the mamiya 6 for around $600 somewhere on the web (maybe ebay). I have a mamiya 7 and i just did a 40x50 color print (inkjet scan) that looked great (the film was fujipro 160S).

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Bronica ETRS with 75mm lens, back and finder should be less than $200. I believe that this is the best value for money you will find at the moment!

Enlarger lens - I use a Meopta Anaret-S 80mm myself. But with corrent second-hand darkroom prices, I would look for a Rodagon, Componon or similar.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my Rolleiflex. But then I never change my 50mm lens on the Leica either, so pretty much like that perspective.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I have a Beselar 67 enlarger. I shoot a holga, so I know how to develop it.
    I know everyone has their own preferences, but if you have the 67, you might want to consider shooting 6X7 negatives. You can catch a lot of detail on a 6X7 negative.The Bronica GS-1 is a great camera, and considered light for its class. I picked mine up in "bargain" condition from KEH in July, and have shot virtually nothing else since. You would need an enlarger lens of at least 80mm for this size negative.

You can get a GS-1 with a 100mm normal lens, a prism or waist level finder and maybe even a speed winder grip well within your budget. (with money left over to get a half-decent tripod... they say it's light, but you'd find hand-holding very tiring after only a few rolls.)

I know this doesn't make the choice any easier. Part of the fun is just finding out what's available.
    Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Also consider if you want to go big with your enlargements and want the sharpest negs you want to shoot on a tripod. Consider the RB67. It's amazingly cheap and the lenses are very good. I shoot one with a 90 and 180 but if I didn't shoot LF I'd get a wide angle for it.

There are other similar systems for similar prices out there. You'll certainly find a complete set up for your price. Just look around for a while.

Alan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin