Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,379   Online: 764

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Smith View Post
    Oh Matti, now you've done it.

Nathan
    Oops, compared the Bronica to digital, sorry about that . Let's take another example: If I was all into reason I wouldn't have paddled my kayak to work in the summer and walked the ice in the winter when we lived on an island.

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both...recently shooting a wedding with the Bronica..the crank handle on the back I was using fell off..it's a bitch when under pressure to wind that sucker without one..

Then, shooting the Hassy up in Bodie I noiticed the slide was going in kinda stiff and heard paper crunching...thought it was loose film but the back seal came loose from the side of the film back and laid across 4-5 images...nice white strip.

So, both are fallible to age concerns, both will take the pictures you want.
    Bronica is more user friendly, Hassy makes a cool sound.

Huge enlargements may show a discernible quality difference in the glass, but I wouldn't know...

Either/Or
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I'm planning on a 50/80/150 kit. Adding a 60 at a later time.

I like the fact that the Hassy is mechanical but I'm not against electronic cams.
    Assuming you only need the basics as described you will save a lot of money you can put towards film, carbon tripod, travel etc with the Bronica. You will find there are some accessories etc for Hassleblad that aren't made for Bronica and that Bronica is less abundant in the s/h market - but there isn't exactly a shortage.

I have the SQB and 50/80/180. Got the 180 because the 150 was not a tight enough field of view for me and the 180 focuses closer. 180 is much less common and more $$ though.

I've never quite understood the objection to a camera that requires a few small batteries - given that you have to carry all that 120 film with you anyway what is the problem wit taking some batteries too?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOttawa View Post
    I've never quite understood the objection to a camera that requires a few small batteries - given that you have to carry all that 120 film with you anyway what is the problem wit taking some batteries too?
    I do not think it's the weight, but the problem that their is electronica inside that can fail easier than mechanical suddenly due to temperature,water, shaking....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find electronics failure especially irritating, for some reason. When I dropped my Rolleiflex or dropped a tree on my mechanical Bessa R2, I understood what had happened. But when my electronic shuttered Mamiya 645 just didn't click sometimes when the temperature went under 10 deg C, and of course the repairman couldn't repeat the problem, I just returned the camera.
    /matti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Because I wanted a 6x6 that would run without batteries and I used a handheld meter anyway, I bought a Bronica SQB. Fully manual which suits my needs perfectly. I don't think I could tell the difference between a picture taken with a Hasselblad C lens and a Bronica PS lens, so to me it came down getting what I wanted out of a 6x6 at the best price, so I went with the SQB and it's just what I wanted.

-R
    The sqb shutter is powered by battery so it still needs these to work. I think it defaults to 1/125ish when the battery dies, so I guess it is still usable, just about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in 1981 I tested blad 500cm, Bronica Sq, Mamiya RB67, Mamiya M1000 645 against each other, all with the standard lens ( 80-90 ) and wide angle ( 50-65). All photos shot on the same afternoon, all processed on the the same day, all tripod mounted. Blad won hands down, better sharpness, contrast, Bronica was 2nd good but definately not up to Zeiss standards, RB67 3rd, Mamiya 645 last. I used the same film, Plus-X Pro same dev D-76. Even though the Bronica was considerably cheaper I went with the 500cm, I've been very happy with my system. You might try doing your own tests, modern films are much better than 80's films. My two cents. RandyB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in 1981 Bronica has only S lenses, not PS lenses which are better.
    I own one S serie lens and couple of PS serie and difference in contrast and flare sensibility is really huge.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by randyB View Post
    Back in 1981 I tested blad 500cm, Bronica Sq, Mamiya RB67, Mamiya M1000 645 against each other, all with the standard lens ( 80-90 ) and wide angle ( 50-65). All photos shot on the same afternoon, all processed on the the same day, all tripod mounted. Blad won hands down, better sharpness, contrast, Bronica was 2nd good but definately not up to Zeiss ...
    Hi Randy,

Which series of lenses were the ones that you tested on the 'Blad and the Bronnie?

Thanks,

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    My inclination is to Hasselblad but the Bronica is well respected system as well. I'm looking at Hassy C lenses and Bronica PS lenses and they'll be used solely for B&W with most of my work being nature and landscape subjects.
    The superiority of the T* Zeiss lenses is far less important in monochrome work. If you aren't shooting colour, then the colour difference of the lenses won't matter. Most Hassy C lenses had T* coatings (except early types e.g. 50mm C Distagon).

I'm planning on a 50/80/150 kit. Adding a 60 at a later time.
    Look at the price difference for a Bronica Sq kit (newer) than a Hasselblad kit..

I like the fact that the Hassy is mechanical but I'm not against electronic cams. What do I give up from the Hassy if I go with the Bronica? I'm mainly concerned with contrast and sharpness but are there any functional issues that might pop up as well?
    1. Electronic quartz shutter precision of the Bronica
    2. You give up the irritating lack of time shutter from 16 seconds - 1
    seconds. The Hasselblad has a 1 second maximum shutter speed whereas
    the Bronica has time control up to 16 seconds, a B and a T setting.
    3. The jamming Hasselblad lenses every other time you use an extension ring - true - the Bronica's Sq has never jammed.
    4. C lenses are less sharp in the corners than later PS lenses. Unless you
    shoot with the CFi lenses, you will be really pushed to notice even corner
    differences at huge enlargement factors between Bronica Sq and
    Hasselblad C lenses.
    5. Film back engagment with the Hasselblads: with older backs, sometimes
    the shutter locks and won't fire because of alignment issues with older
    backs. A CLA may be required. Never experienced that with any Bronica
    due to its innovative film back design (well...innovative 25 years ago..)
    6. You give up the crappy Hasselblad multiple exposure technique which
    requires the film back to be moved before you wind on the shutter, and
    then replace the back, guaranteeing that you will have moved the film
    image plane in that movement. The Bronica's mechanism is swifter and
    neat.
    7.You also give up the prestige of working with a Hasselblad.

No.7 is probably the subconscious reason why I still shoot with a Hasselblad and not a Bronica over the past 20 years. The Bronica Sq is a superior and more user-friendly 6x6cm format camera system in every aspect for black and white work; for the budget; for the practicality and reliability.

Still, I shoot with a Hasselblad. Just can't reason with older people who are set in their ways

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin