Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 765

Shooter
    Multi Format

Contemplating A Mamiya Purchase

Hi All,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Mamiya 645 AF-D system (not the AF-D II). The system is in excellent shape (most items in near mint condition). The components are as follows:

- Mamiya 645 AF-D body and prism
    - 80mm 2.8 lens w/shade
    - 2 backs with 120-220 inserts with an extra insert
    - 105-210mm 4.5 ULD AF zoom lens w/shade
    - 55mm 2.8 AF lens

The system will cost $2350 USD. I'm wondering if this is a good deal and should be scooped up.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Have you tried this system to see if it fits your way of seeing?

I don't know the 645 system, but the glass on my Mamiya system is excellent.

Good luck.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Hi All,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Mamiya 645 AF-D system (not the AF-D II). The system is in excellent shape (most items in near mint condition). The components are as follows:

- Mamiya 645 AF-D body and prism
    - 80mm 2.8 lens w/shade
    - 2 backs with 120-220 inserts with an extra insert
    - 105-210mm 4.5 ULD AF zoom lens w/shade
    - 55mm 2.8 AF lens

The system will cost $2350 USD. I'm wondering if this is a good deal and should be scooped up.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    I have one almost exactly as you describe but also have a wider lens and the macro. You have all you will need with these 3 lenses and you can't touch a new one for that money...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately, it not a local purchase so I can't try out the system. However, the Mamiya system is reputed to be excellent and I did handle a 645 AF-D a couple years back when I was in London.

Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by Snapshot; 10-30-2007 at 02:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That looks like an excellent kit. The deal looks reasonable, about what I'd expect to pay for that setup.

Mamiya's 645 stuff is excellent, the 55 in particular is a superb lens (I have the 55/2.8 N in M645 non-AF mount, it's very sharp. Same optics as the AF 55).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do I read your list correctly that the 80mm lens is non AF?

I am very happy with my (non AF) Mamiya 645 equipment, but I might find using a non AF lens in stop down mode on an AF body somewhat frustrating.

Also, unlike most of the non AF bodies, the AF bodies have fixed prisms, so a waist level finder isn't an option.

It looks like a good kit, but you should be aware of the above before you decide.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Do I read your list correctly that the 80mm lens is non AF?

I am very happy with my (non AF) Mamiya 645 equipment, but I might find using a non AF lens in stop down mode on an AF body somewhat frustrating.

Also, unlike most of the non AF bodies, the AF bodies have fixed prisms, so a waist level finder isn't an option.

It looks like a good kit, but you should be aware of the above before you decide.

Matt
    Pardon the ommission, the 80mm lens is AF as well. I'll remember these limitations of the system for any future purchases. Thanks for your input.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin