Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,782   Online: 1047

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by herb View Post
    I
    Easy to use, but I wound up hating the 6x7 format. I have the Fuji 6x9 and a horseman 6x9 VHR, which is another way to go.

Depends on how you like the format. I cannot get comfortable with 6x7.

IMHO the Mamiya is more user friendly and very well built.
    Yes, I also find it hard to love the 6X7 format, but easy to love the Mamiya 7.

And what do others do with that extra negative that won't fit into standard size print files?

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad the Leica didn't live up to your expectations, but I think they may have been too high, it is just a 35mm camera in the end. (But what a camera.) I have used all of the cameras you have mentioned and I agree with the other posters, format ends up being the big factor. I love 6x9 so the Fujis work great for me. I'm not so crazy for 6x7, so even though the Mamiya 7 is a great camera, I couldn't keep it, just didn't work for me. I actually think the Mamiya 6 may be the better camera, but it depends on how you feel about squares.

Sandy, what extra neg are you referring to?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With 6x7, you can fit 3 strips of 3 exposures in a print file sheet, and there is one frame left over that needs a another sheet. It depends upon which style of Print File sheet you use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Fuji GW 670 II and the GSW 690 III. I absolutely love the lenses on them. But for travel, the Mamiya 7 is a better choice because it is lighter and much more compact.
    For the normal (90 mm) lens I prefer 6x7 and for the wide angle (65mm) I like the 6x9, which gives a wider feel to the image than does the 6x7. As far as aspect ratio... the image is more important and I don't worry about how it fits on a piece of paper.
    My $0.02

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks all....this really helped me to sort this out in my own mind....when I think about it, I really do want a Mamiya. When I am traveling for business or with my family, I'd be better served by the smaller package with an integral meter. I really don't care for 6x7 (6x8 would be perfect), but I've never been afraid to crop when I need to. As a mechanical engineer, I do appreciate the mechanical elegance of the Leica. As a cheap photographer, I can get much better results from the bigger negative. When I want grain and fast lenses, I'll use my Canon. Now I just need to decide how to "cash in" my Leica and how to best buy the Mamiya (-:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    Thanks all....this really helped me to sort this out in my own mind....when I think about it, I really do want a Mamiya. When I am traveling for business or with my family, I'd be better served by the smaller package with an integral meter. I really don't care for 6x7 (6x8 would be perfect), but I've never been afraid to crop when I need to. As a mechanical engineer, I do appreciate the mechanical elegance of the Leica. As a cheap photographer, I can get much better results from the bigger negative. When I want grain and fast lenses, I'll use my Canon. Now I just need to decide how to "cash in" my Leica and how to best buy the Mamiya (-:
    Mark,

Do it. I don't think you will be disappointed if image quality is important. Nothing against Leica, but the large 6X7 negative, in combination with the incredible optics of Mamiya 7, pretty much blows Leica out of the water in a direct comparison when print size is larger than 5X7.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I toured several MF RFs and I can offer a few stray comments. My tour began with several fixed-lens Fujis, the ga645ZI (the zoom one) and the ga645W. For a while I took those two with me everywhere. Great cameras, actually. Kinda clunky, but outstanding. But I wanted to enlarge less and get bigger chromes and negs, so I gravitated into the 67 and 69 RFs. I adore the fuji gs690 and gsw690, they are superb, and they would make an excellent travel pair. But I settled on a mamiya 6 after I realized that the whole kit with 3 lenses could be had, used but in excellent condition, for ~US$1500. And that kit is incredibly compact- about the size of a typical slr kit. The 7/7ii are not quite as small but still very reasonaby sized for what the deliver.

I had reservations about shooting squares at first, but it turned out to be a much needed refresher in composition, it kind of flipped a switched and caused me to think more creatively. There was a comment somewhere above that 67 is not as interesting as 69; I think there is no inherent "interestingness" of any particular aspect ratio, it's up to you to fill the frame and use the geometry.

Looking at the prices now, I think the ~$900-$1000 price tag on the gsw690 is not justified. Sure, it's a great camera and the EBC lens is nice, but that price inflation is too much in my opinion, for a fixed lens RF. However, I do wish I'd bought one when they were going for much less.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    .... I really don't care for 6x7 (6x8 would be perfect), ...
    Alas, Fuji also made a 6x8cm version of those rangefinders (I think both the normal 90mm and 65mm wide lens version), but I think only for Japanese market. I have seen several on eBay in the past years, but not very many. They should fit 9 shots on a roll of 120 film...

The label is GW680 and GSW680 respectively.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am thinking of getting rid of my fairly recently acquired Leica. The images are pretty much the same as I can get from my canon primes. The smallness and quietness is nice, but not worth it. I got it hoping to use it on business trips and vacations where the 4x5 is not practical. I've found the Leica not as good as I hoped and clearly need a bigger neg.....and I think I do want a 6x7 or 6x9. I've tried 645 and it is simply not big enough for my taste. That leads me to two very different cameras: the wide and normal Fuji and the Mamiya 7 with an 80 and 50mm lenses (plus a 150mm eventually). I might consider a Pentax 67, but I think I'd prefer the 4x5 than haul that beast.

The both seem available used. I'd probably tend to try to get the Mamiya from London or Hong Kong new, though, since the price is pretty low. The Mamiya is a more compact system. The 2 Fujis have a built in back up, are cheaper, can go 6x9, no meter and are more to haul around.

Any comments? -- Mark
    g'day

seems to me you are just a tad confused, what do you want, small, medium or large format?

these are different tools for different for jobs, how can you possibly compare a Leica to a 5x4?

what sort of images do you make? or is that just a secondary concern?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    g'day

seems to me you are just a tad confused, what do you want, small, medium or large format?

these are different tools for different for jobs, how can you possibly compare a Leica to a 5x4?

what sort of images do you make? or is that just a secondary concern?
    I don't think I am confused. When I am traveling (particularly for business) there is a compromise between image quality and what I can reasonably bring. I tried the Leica route (best I can do in 35mm and small). I was not satisfied with that for landscape work. It is great for street photography, but so is my Canon. I tried a Rolleicord....happier, but the quality still did not rival my 4x5 even at small enlargements (BTW - the 4x5 comes anytime it can). This brings me to a 6x7 or 6x9 with modern lenses. I know I can crop my 4x5 to 6x9/7 proportions and get acceptable results up to about 11x14 so I think that a Fuji or Mamiya makes the most sense.

Again, thanks all for your help with my indecision -- Mark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin