Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,755   Online: 932

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    I don't think I am confused. When I am traveling (particularly for business) there is a compromise between image quality and what I can reasonably bring. I tried the Leica route (best I can do in 35mm and small). I was not satisfied with that for landscape work. It is great for street photography, but so is my Canon. I tried a Rolleicord....happier, but the quality still did not rival my 4x5 even at small enlargements (BTW - the 4x5 comes anytime it can). This brings me to a 6x7 or 6x9 with modern lenses. I know I can crop my 4x5 to 6x9/7 proportions and get acceptable results up to about 11x14 so I think that a Fuji or Mamiya makes the most sense.

Again, thanks all for your help with my indecision -- Mark
    We often have to compromise on image quality based on what we can reasonably carry on a trip, especially if we go by air. I travel quite a bit by air and am often faced with the same compromise. I would really rather take the 5X7, but Mamiya 7 or Fuji 6X9 is a good compromise.

With Mamiya 7 or Fuji 6X9 I have the potential of approaching 4X5 quality. Some may not agree with that statement, but with the correct choice of film and used on a tripod, as we would use 4X5, these camera give extraordinary results.

One issue I should mention, even though it may be slightly taboo here. If your work flow involves scanning it is not possible to obtain maximum quality with prosumer type scanners (Epson V700, V750 etc.). Go to the Hybrid site if you are interested in this topic.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    My advice, before you sell your Leica, is to see if you can rent a Mamiya 7 and try it for yourself.

Over the years I owned a pair of Mamiya 6 bodies with the 50 and 75 lenses, the Fuji GS645S with the 60mm lens and the Fuji GW690II with the 90mm lens. I also rented the Mamiya 7 with the 80mm lens to test.

The 6 is a wonderful camera and I kept mine for a long time, but in the end I couldn't get along with the square format. As for the Fujis and the Mamiya 7/80 combination, I found that I intensely disliked the lenses, especially the rendering of distant OOF content. The tonal character of the Fujinons was also a bit harsh and unsubtle for my taste. BTW, this judgment is based exclusively on B&W use - with the exception of a few rolls of color neg in the Mamiya 6's very early on, I didn't use these cameras for color.

The Mamiyas are much quieter, more compact and more friendly in the hand. OTOH, the 90mm lens on the Fuji GW690 cameras is an ideal combination of focal length and format IMO. But in the end, neither worked out for me, despite their appeal on paper.

None of which means that you won't find the Mamiya 7 ideal for your purposes, only that what makes a camera work or not is often some subtlety that's hard to judge from a description or from someone else's testimonial. So see if you can try for yourself before you commit to an expensive purchase.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had the Fuji GW690 for some time. The reason for bying it was the film format. Expectations were great, but it turned out to be too large and clumsy. Changed to Mamiya 6 with all 3 lenses. Use the wide angle mostly. With the Mamiya 6 you do not have to use an outside viewfinder for wide angle that is required on the model 7.
    Handles like a slightly larger Leica M6. Even more quiet and with less vibration from the shutter. Find the square format a limitation, so I end up using only part of the film. Nice thing is that you can hold the camera horizontally regardless of the final cropping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    We often have to compromise on image quality based on what we can reasonably carry on a trip, especially if we go by air. I travel quite a bit by air and am often faced with the same compromise. I would really rather take the 5X7, but Mamiya 7 or Fuji 6X9 is a good compromise.

With Mamiya 7 or Fuji 6X9 I have the potential of approaching 4X5 quality. Some may not agree with that statement, but with the correct choice of film and used on a tripod, as we would use 4X5, these camera give extraordinary results.

One issue I should mention, even though it may be slightly taboo here. If your work flow involves scanning it is not possible to obtain maximum quality with prosumer type scanners (Epson V700, V750 etc.). Go to the Hybrid site if you are interested in this topic.

Sandy King
    g'day all

perhaps there is too much emphasis on 'image quality' and not enough consideration of image content

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    g'day all

perhaps there is too much emphasis on 'image quality' and not enough consideration of image content
    And perhaps some people should stay on-topic and refrain from gratuitous comments. Or start their own thread about topics that interest them.

Sandy King

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I like the RF 645 Bronica, lenses are 45 mm, 65 mm, 100 mm, quite compact.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    And perhaps some people should stay on-topic and refrain from gratuitous comments. Or start their own thread about topics that interest them.

Sandy King
    and perhaps some people have a narrow interpretation of what the topic might include

the original poster asked for advice, i gave it
    Last edited by Ray Heath; 11-23-2007 at 12:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't spell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post

the original poster asked for advice
    about cameras, not content. Also, this thread is in a forum called "Medium Format Cameras and Accessories".

As much as I appreciate your emphasis on content, this was not the question.
    Last edited by ooze; 11-23-2007 at 01:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: editing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    about cameras, not content.

as much as I appreciate your emphasis on content, this was not the question.

sorry, my mistake, i'll try again

we should all, always, use the biggest camera ever made, loaded with the finest grained film available, and with this 'gear' we should always photograph every subject the exact same way, the prints (it goes with out saying we are using mono film) should be made to the highest standards as laid down by _________ (insert name of your own particular photographic god, although really there should only be one), we of course are using the 'best' lens ever made, though we don't call it a lens, we refer to it as 'glass', so there it is, no need to think, be creative or adaptable, it's all been done for you, just get out and capture those images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gentlemen, I don't think there is a point in starting another philosophy war: the poster asked for advice on the image quality of different cameras based on received standards of optical quality.

Simple question, simple answer.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin