Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,347   Online: 991

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mamiya 7 or couple of Fujis

I am thinking of getting rid of my fairly recently acquired Leica. The images are pretty much the same as I can get from my canon primes. The smallness and quietness is nice, but not worth it. I got it hoping to use it on business trips and vacations where the 4x5 is not practical. I've found the Leica not as good as I hoped and clearly need a bigger neg.....and I think I do want a 6x7 or 6x9. I've tried 645 and it is simply not big enough for my taste. That leads me to two very different cameras: the wide and normal Fuji and the Mamiya 7 with an 80 and 50mm lenses (plus a 150mm eventually). I might consider a Pentax 67, but I think I'd prefer the 4x5 than haul that beast.

The both seem available used. I'd probably tend to try to get the Mamiya from London or Hong Kong new, though, since the price is pretty low. The Mamiya is a more compact system. The 2 Fujis have a built in back up, are cheaper, can go 6x9, no meter and are more to haul around.

Any comments? -- Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6x7 is a less interesting proportion than 6x9. Other wise you've covered the ground fairly well. The mamiya 7 has the 43 which is lens to lust after -- at least it is for me. For me the Maiya fits my handsbetter, has a better feel and is over all a really easy to shoot camera. Having said that, I am so in love with wides and the 6x9 (2x3) format that at some point I may try and find the fuji 6x9 with the wide angle lens

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You're kidding - right?

Love the Fuji range finders but, if I had the means, I'd go for the Mamiya 7-II in a heartbeat! I think the Fuji is what you buy when you can't afford the Mamiya...

Good luck with your decision.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    That leads me to two very different cameras: the wide and normal Fuji and the Mamiya 7 with an 80 and 50mm lenses (plus a 150mm eventually). I might consider a Pentax 67, but I think I'd prefer the 4x5 than haul that beast.

Any comments? -- Mark

I have a Mamiya 7 outfit, with two bodies and four lenses, and a Fuji 6X9 with 90mm lens. I previously owned a Fuji 6X9 with 65mm lens, and a Pentax 67 system.

The first advice is forget the Pentax 67. It is a great camera for many applications, but for use in travel and on vacation you really don't want the weight.

The Mamiya 7 is a more modern camera and it is superior in many ways to the Fuji 6X9s. If you like really wide angle work, get the Mamiya 7 with 43mm or 50mm lens. If you like an array of lenses to cover wide angle to medium tele, get the Mamiya 7. If you need built in metering the Mamiiya 7 is your camera. If you like a really smooth and quiet shutter release, get the Mamiya 7. But if you like simplicity and working with just one body the Fuji 6X9, with either 65mm or 90mm, will probably beat the Mamiya in print quality. If you need both wide angle and normal lenses, I would recommend the Mamiya over carrying two Fuji bodies.

The Fuji GA645Zi, which is a point and shoot 645 with autofocus, autoexposure and variable focus lens, is a great travel camera as well, if you can live with the negative size. Too bad Fuji did not make this camera in 6X9 format. That would have been a dynamite film camera.

Sandy King

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sandy are you saying the Fuji 6x9 will beat the Mamiya in optical quality?

That is not a loaded question or any attempt at picking an argument, I am currently considering getting a range finder rectangular format camera and the Mamiya 7 11 I have to test is a bit expensive for the limited applications I have in mind. The 6x9 format and less expense sounds good to me if the optics of Fuji is as good as the Mamiya 7.

Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Another quesiton,

I just looked at a fuji 6x9 with the 90 on ebay and they show a switch that goes from 4 exposures to 8 exposures to 16 exposures. I get the 16 is for 220 what I don't get is what is the 4 exposures for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Another quesiton,

I just looked at a fuji 6x9 with the 90 on ebay and they show a switch that goes from 4 exposures to 8 exposures to 16 exposures. I get the 16 is for 220 what I don't get is what is the 4 exposures for?
    They used to sell short rolls of 120 in Japan which were 1/2 the length.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 11-20-2007 at 03:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Sandy are you saying the Fuji 6x9 will beat the Mamiya in optical quality?

That is not a loaded question or any attempt at picking an argument, I am currently considering getting a range finder rectangular format camera and the Mamiya 7 11 I have to test is a bit expensive for the limited applications I have in mind. The 6x9 format and less expense sounds good to me if the optics of Fuji is as good as the Mamiya 7.

Dennis
    My opinion is that Mamiya 7 lenses have slightly greater resolution, but the Fuji EBC lenses appear to be more contrasty, so in terms of lens quality there is a wash, or perhaps slight advantage to Mamiya. But the 6X9 format requires less magnification on the long dimension than 6X7, so there is a slight advantage to Fuji 6X9.

The major negative for me with Fuji 6X9 is that you have to carry an acessory exposure meter.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the latest version of the Fuji 6x9 with a 90mm lens, its probably produces the best negs of all my cameras. The lenses are truely excellent. It's a nice light travel camera, although the fixed lens can be a pain.

The Pentax 67 is too heavy for me to travel with, its a beast.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya 7 or fuji 6x9

I had a Mamiya 7II with the 43 and the others, took it on a long trip to India.

Easy to use, but I wound up hating the 6x7 format. I have the Fuji 6x9 and a horseman 6x9 VHR, which is another way to go.

Depends on how you like the format. I cannot get comfortable with 6x7.

IMHO the Mamiya is more user friendly and very well built.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin