Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,027   Online: 1029

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya RB67 and 65mm f/4 k/l question.

I've heard some of the new K/L lenses will only fit on the new Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD bodies. Is this true? How about the 65mm f/4 K/L in particular... will this fit on the original RB67 Pro without any problems? I appreciate any and all help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the 65mm KL can be used with all RB67 bodies. Just two lenses, the 75mm Shift and 500mm f/6 APO, can only be used with the Pro-SD body.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
    Yes, the 65mm KL can be used with all RB67 bodies. Just two lenses, the 75mm Shift and 500mm f/6 APO, can only be used with the Pro-SD body.
    Not entirely sure - I have only Pro SD, and when I bought a 50 mm C lens, it came with a C to KL adapter, which is a metal ring that snap-fits to the rear of the lens and has an internal diameter of 54 mm and an outside diameter of 60 mm. I had the impression that earlier bodies did not have a sufficient throat diameter to accept the KL rear dimension of 60 mm.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
    I have several KL lens (but not the 65mm) they are all fitted with the removable adaptor so that they can be used on both Pro S and Pro SD bodies. It is also my understanding that the wider throat is required for the two lens mentioned by jmartin above.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    Not entirely sure - I have only Pro SD, and when I bought a 50 mm C lens, it came with a C to KL adapter, which is a metal ring that snap-fits to the rear of the lens and has an internal diameter of 54 mm and an outside diameter of 60 mm. I had the impression that earlier bodies did not have a sufficient throat diameter to accept the KL rear dimension of 60 mm.

Regards,

David
    Correction - on examining the rear of my KL lenses (90, 180, 360) in detail, something which for some odd reason I never felt inclined to do before , I discover that they are all fitted with the removable collar (which I thought was a fixed part of the lens). Assuming the 65 mm is the same, it looks as if most KL lenses were engineered to be backwardly compatible with the Pro and Pro S models! "jmartin" is entirely correct.

Regards

Shooter
    35mm
    Awesome.. thank you all for the help. It looks like my initial setup is going to be an RB67 Pro w/ waistlevel, 120 Pro-SD back, 65mm f/4 KL lens, and 127 f/3.5 KL lens. I'm hoping I won't gas to buy anything else in the near future. This is my second venture into medium format after a baby Speed Graphic that was essentially worthless except for hand-held because the 101mm f/4.5 Ektar doesn't take a cable release. One day I'll buy another lens for that little thing.

I plan on using the RB67 mostly for landscapes and cityscapes, with the odd portrait or still life. Think those lenses are the best way to go?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally, having used both, I think the K/L lenses give better results for color work than the Sekor C lenses (to me, they produce better color contrast/saturation). One thing I really like about K/L lenses is that they have an extra cable release socket for closing the shutter in time mode. You can use one cable release to open the shutter, and one to close it (or use a double cable release), so it works more like bulb mode. Even using mirror lock up, you can open the shutter and close it with a cable release. It's a great feature if you need a 2 or 3 second exposure, but don't want to touch the camera to close the shutter.

The lens mount adapter rings are handy to have if you ever change to an RZ body, and want to use your RB lenses (the RZ has the same size opening as the RB pro SD). The RZ user manual says that you can use RB lenses without the adapter, but still recommends using one.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by cigrainger View Post
    Awesome.. thank you all for the help. It looks like my initial setup is going to be an RB67 Pro w/ waistlevel, 120 Pro-SD back, 65mm f/4 KL lens, and 127 f/3.5 KL lens. I'm hoping I won't gas to buy anything else in the near future. This is my second venture into medium format after a baby Speed Graphic that was essentially worthless except for hand-held because the 101mm f/4.5 Ektar doesn't take a cable release. One day I'll buy another lens for that little thing.

I plan on using the RB67 mostly for landscapes and cityscapes, with the odd portrait or still life. Think those lenses are the best way to go?
    Yes, good choice!

I prefer longer focal lengths for close work such as portraits, products, and anything that deserves a closer look (gives a more accurate perspective, or rendering).
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    cigrainger,

Starting with the 65 and 127 KL sounds right, since that provides you with one "normal" lens and a wide (but not too wide). I have two C's (50 and 127) and one KL (90), and I've recently found myself wanting the 65 KL for times when the 50 is just a bit much. I tend towards the slightly wide side of so-called normal lenses, hence my choice of the 90 KL. I use it far more than the others and I must say it is excellent.

Also, I will concur with max_ebb regarding the improved shutter closing provision on the KLs (T mode operation). Just yesterday I was making some 1m - 2m exposures and I always hate having to try to gently push the cocking lever forward, or the other methods for ending the shot. If you rarely go past 1s exposures, it's not so bad.

Enjoy your new system!

- James

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin