Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,207   Online: 963

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pentax 67 Shutter Question

I just received a used Pentax 67 body that I purchased off ebay. You're supposed to be able to fire the body without film in it. I downloaded the manual off the internet and tried firing the shutter with the back door open and the film advance would not advance and the shutter would not fire. I started to worry. But then I loaded up a roll of film and the MLU worked, and the shutter fired.

Should I be worried that the camera will not fire without film like it's supposed to? Or am I doing something wrong trying to do so?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Should I be worried that the camera will not fire without film like it's supposed to? Or am I doing something wrong trying to do so?
    NO.....not to worry! Firing the shutter without film requires a little metal 'key' that you can absolutely live without. I lost the one that came with my P67, and recently bought one from a pugger here on line. However, I'm not even sure why I did, since I've never bothered to use the thing (although I like having it in case I ever do need it.)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everybody at the Camera Store where I bought mine snickered when they saw Pentax's description of it: Cock Key. I think something got lost in the translation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I just received a used Pentax 67 body that I purchased off ebay. You're supposed to be able to fire the body without film in it. I downloaded the manual off the internet and tried firing the shutter with the back door open and the film advance would not advance and the shutter would not fire. I started to worry. But then I loaded up a roll of film and the MLU worked, and the shutter fired.

That's perfect. Mine on the other hand does fire with the door open, and it doesn't stop winding at the end of a roll. Very annoying to deal with since you never know if your actually done with a roll until you look at the counter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    NO.....not to worry! Firing the shutter without film requires a little metal 'key' that you can absolutely live without. I lost the one that came with my P67, and recently bought one from a pugger here on line. However, I'm not even sure why I did, since I've never bothered to use the thing (although I like having it in case I ever do need it.)
    And I still have my key, but I never could figure how to use it to fire the shutter with the door open. Why would I need to do that, anyway?
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    And I still have my key, but I never could figure how to use it to fire the shutter with the door open. Why would I need to do that, anyway?
    Probably just to check the shutter speeds.....at least to get a guesstimate by ear of their being different from one another. There are instructions on the use of the key in the owner's manual.
    Last edited by jovo; 12-05-2007 at 08:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I feel much better! I was just afraid that it wasn't functioning properly. I'm gonna take it out this this weekend and test it out with a roll of HP5 to make sure the shutter speeds are all ok. Thanks everyone!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you look at the top of the winder where the frame number is displayed you will see a little serrated edged button. You can use your thumb to turn that and the frame counter will turn. If you turn it past where it says frame 1 and then hold it there while closing the door, the shutter will fire with the door closed as often as you want till you open the door again. It is a little bit of a PITA but once you figure it out it works pretty easily. If you want to look through the lens you have to do the little maneuver I described and the lock the shutter open in B (by setting the speed in the blank area of the dial) then you can open the door with the shutter open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Cock" used in Japanese is like the "cock" in "cock a gun". The Japanese don't use it to mean a rude person or ..... the other thing I've snickered at the word myself over here, no one gets it.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Everybody at the Camera Store where I bought mine snickered when they saw Pentax's description of it: Cock Key. I think something got lost in the translation.
    They will laugh at anything! What's funny about a male chicken key

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin