Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,999   Online: 793

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Something like the success factor?

Fs = (Good Photos taken) / ((Missed shots)+(decided not to)+(should have brought the other lens)+(not so good on print)+(Ruined the neg)^2)

Any ruined neg / light leak / bad overexposure is squared for the extra aggravation this causes...

So far, my Fs is around 0.05 - which is good. It means I'm happy with at least 1 photo!

-- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Isn't that the way it is though. I shoot a lot of sheets and then quickly pick out my favorites that I will work on. One or two good shots and all the rest ... ruined or worse ... ordinary. I just can't spend too much time with ordinary!
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Images
    I just got back from a day trip out to my favorite light station, Pigeon Point. I hiked a total of about 1.5 miles round trip in the sand up and down rocks, hills, etc. carrying my RB in my hand with a 90mm lens, and one 120 back. in my backpack I had three more lenses and extra filters, film. Spot meter around my neck, tripod hanging through one of the straps on my backpack and two more backs in my cargo short pockrts. I am guessing I was loaded down with about 30lbs of gear. So, yes, it can be done. Was it as fun as if I had been carying one lens? who knows. The bottom line is you need to bring everything with you, or else you are going to be weishing you had it. I only used two lenses today, and brought two more just in case.. oh well.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies. The real answer seems to be, I need to weigh (ahem) the options a bit more, and possibly try something as simple as moving from my default shoulder bag to the backpack (not a photo pack, but with large, easy to access pockets and room for a 4x5 + accessories), and hiking around with it a bit.

Alternately, I should move somewhere more scenic, where I can just take the car up into the scenery, and not worry so much about the portage issue. Not sure I'm ready to dedicate myself to documenting Illinois suburbia instead.

I thought you all might get a chuckle out of this. I've recently bought an RB, and I had to test this out. My RB with 90mm lens is lighter than my F5 with an 80-200. Wonder which one I'll be hiking with now?

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="Robert Kennedy"] The weird thing is that the defintion of "stone" varies.

No question - 14lbs anywhere in the country.

When I was back in college, working out Physics problems with a slide rule, we once converted all our d/t answers to "furlongs per fortnight".
    In retrospect, I should have used my free time in more productive endeavors, such as recreational drug use.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin