Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,657   Online: 743

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 7II - 150mm lens problem

I recently purchased a used Mamiya 7II 150mm lens from a very well know used photography equipment broker in the southeast. Upon receipt of the lens I noticed a very odd and audible sound when the lens was focused in and out. It almost sounded like a spring being trapped and a little bit of scraping each time the focusing ring was turned. I checked my other two lenses for the Mamiya,...quiet and smooth. The lens was sent back to the broker with a description of the problem. Today I found out that the repair department at their store compared it to another 150mm lens they have in stock and according to them it makes a similar noise. From this they concluded that this sound may be 'normal' for this focal length lens for the Mamiya 7II. The good news, they fully refunded my money. I would appreciate if anyone with a 150mm lens and or any info. or insight into this situation could write back. Thanks in advance for your help.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've never heard a noise from the two 150mm lenses I've owned for the Mamiya 7 II.

Why two? Because the first 150mm lens I got was a disaster. Wouldn't focus accurately. Went round and round with Mamiya. Finally they traded it for a new lens.

Still have it. Doesn't make a sound when focusing. Smooth as all the other lenses I have with the system.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sold my 150mm for the 7II, but I do remember that it did not make any noise at all.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My 150mm makes no such noise. All my M7II lenses are smooth and quiet.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd expect the lenses to be near silent. There's lube in the helical & if you hear a "gritty" sound it's usually from some sort of grit sneaking into the helical.
    It may very well be that both examples have been exposed to blowing sand in their past life.
    There is definitely no spring or other loose part dragging internally.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    My 50mm Mamiya 7 lens does make a sound as it's focussed that is just audible in a quiet environment. As the focus ring is turned and the inner sleeve is pushed out (rather than in, I think), at one single point there is a quiet "ting" sound made. It sounds to me like the sound that a leaf spring would make as it glides across a change in internal sleeve diameter as the tube is racked out. Perhaps it's the same sound as the one that you're hearing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin