Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,147   Online: 1113

Shooter
    35mm

ETRS and Metz 45 CT-5 Flash

Hi All:

I am just about to get my feet wet with my new ETRS and Metz flash and am looking for suggestons and hints for the use of the combo.

A roll of Portra 160 NC is loaded in the camera back and ready to shoot. The flash is connected by the PC cord (no TTL capability on the ETRS), the camera set for a speed of 60, and I plan at first at least to use the automatic modes on the flash, using the calculated f stop from the flash on the camera.

This will be the first time that I have used both the camera and the flash, so the roll I shoot this weekend will be a bit of a trial run for both (and me). Prior to this I have been using chiefly 35 mm cameras, and I am looking forward to seeing the results of the photos taken in MF.

For now, the flash will be powered using its standard power pack and alkalines, but eventually hope to find a good deal on a Quantum battery and MM cord.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on the use of the combination of ETRS and Metz 45 CT-5, sure would appreciate hearing from you

Thanks,

Dave
    Last edited by DavePEI; 12-08-2007 at 04:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add note

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The CT-5 uses an older Metz TTL system so even if your body had TTL it wouldn't work. So don't even worry about the lack of TTL. OTOH it might be high voltage IIRC. Wonder if you'd be better off adding a safe sync or something similar.

Basically trust the Metz auto modes. If the scene is normal then the auto sensor is quite good. Scenes with lots of white or black will require you to compensate. Why the 60 shutter? Remember you can use anything you want.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    The CT-5 uses an older Metz TTL system so even if your body had TTL it wouldn't work. So don't even worry about the lack of TTL. OTOH it might be high voltage IIRC. Wonder if you'd be better off adding a safe sync or something similar.

Basically trust the Metz auto modes. If the scene is normal then the auto sensor is quite good. Scenes with lots of white or black will require you to compensate. Why the 60 shutter? Remember you can use anything you want.
    Hi Nick:

No the flash uses the lower voltage according to Metz - they say it should be no problem using it with the ETRS - that was one of my concerns when I first considered buying the flash. According to them it is only the early CT1's where there is a problem with high voltage triggering. I hope he is correct..

Note added: Just to be certain, I just measured the trigger voltage of the flash from the PC connector with a DVM, and it is 15.9 volts - should be low enough to use with the camera's in-lens contacts?

Some of my older flashes have trigger voltages of up to 300 VDC - far too high for an in-lens contact.

Dave
    Last edited by DavePEI; 12-08-2007 at 05:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dave, as Nick mentioned, MF cameras have leaf shutters unlike your 35mm camera which has a focal plane shutter, so you can use it at any shutter speed you desire.

Buy some transparency film and set your model up and make some test exposures with your set up. Take note of all settings for each exposure. Remember that a printer can alter the exposure to get good results whereas transparency film has virtually no margin for error.

Look at the slides and there should be enough information to get you going. Try another test film in different lighting conditions...very sunny/ back lit etc.

Only buy the Quantum battery pack if you are going to be shooting everyday, those packs don't like lack of use.

Have fun with your new toys!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Gary:

Thanks... I just took a couple of shots of my son and his girlfriend this morning, and all seemed to go well with bounce and fill flash on automatic.. This will tell when I get the roll developed...

Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin