Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,712   Online: 927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RZ/RB problem

I'm using RB lenses with my RZ and seem to be having a problem with time exposures. (never shot at night before with this) The instructions for this for both the RZ and RB are different. I turned the mirror lock up out and to the right, then set the shutter to "T" and released the shutter. It sounded like it opened and closed immediately. Supposedly, when you are done, to release the shutter, you move the shutter dial to 1 sec, but I heard nothing happening to make me think it released. Without doing something crazy like shining a flashlight inside the lens to see if the lens shutter is stuck open, there is no way to see if it worked...except with the processed film of course. Anyone know of a solution? Also, is there a way to cock the shutter w/out film in it? If I could do that, I could test it out.

sincerely,

confused

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need film in the camera to cock the shutter. IIRC you don't even need a back on. It's early but what I remember is stick the camera on multi-exposure mode. You can then fire etc the shutter with the back off. But I've only had 1/2 a cup of coffee.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It sounds like the problem is that your aren't using the MLU properly. Are you using a cable release attached to the lens? When you twist the MLU knob to the up position, you have to screw a cable release into it. When you press the shutter release button on the camera, the shutter closes and the mirror goes up. The shutter doesn't fire until you fire it with the cable release attached to the lens.

Once you open the shutter in time mode, you don't have to turn the shutter speed ring to 1 second to close it, you can just nudge the cocking/advance lever forward a smidge and that will close it (when you say "shutter dial" I assume you're talking about the shutter speed ring on the lens, and not the shutter dial on the camera. Changing the shutter dial on the camera does nothing when using an RB lens).
    Last edited by max_ebb; 12-08-2007 at 11:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nick) I'll try what you suggested.

(Max)with the Rz, you have to have the cable in the mlu...but the RB's instructions say you don't. Maybe I'll try leaving it in. Yes, w/the Rb lenses, the shutter dial on the camera is useless.

thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    Nick) I'll try what you suggested.

(Max)with the Rz, you have to have the cable in the mlu...but the RB's instructions say you don't. Maybe I'll try leaving it in. Yes, w/the Rb lenses, the shutter dial on the camera is useless.

thanks
    I think you must be reading it wrong. The only way to fire the shutter with any RB or RZ lens in MLU mode is with a cable release screwed into the lens. When the MLU knob is twisted out into the MLU mode, pressing the shutter button on the camera only closes the shutter and raises the mirror. The shutter doesn't actually fire (or open in the case of time mode) until you press the cable release attached to the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by max_ebb View Post
    I think you must be reading it wrong. The only way to fire the shutter with any RB or RZ lens in MLU mode is with a cable release screwed into the lens. When the MLU knob is twisted out into the MLU mode, pressing the shutter button on the camera only closes the shutter and raises the mirror. The shutter doesn't actually fire (or open in the case of time mode) until you press the cable release attached to the lens.
    That's my understanding of it too. Though my experience is only of RB lenses on RB bodies. I don't know if it is different with an RZ body but I don't see why it should be.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks...I'm investigating it and will report back....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can fire the shutter in MU mode on a rb lens by twisting the MU knob on the lens back to the"nomal" setting. This will fire the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're all right! Everything works the way it should. Now, into the cold snowy night to give it a try.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    I'm using RB lenses with my RZ and seem to be having a problem with time exposures. (never shot at night before with this) The instructions for this for both the RZ and RB are different. I turned the mirror lock up out and to the right, then set the shutter to "T" and released the shutter. It sounded like it opened and closed immediately. Supposedly, when you are done, to release the shutter, you move the shutter dial to 1 sec, but I heard nothing happening to make me think it released. Without doing something crazy like shining a flashlight inside the lens to see if the lens shutter is stuck open, there is no way to see if it worked...except with the processed film of course. Anyone know of a solution? Also, is there a way to cock the shutter w/out film in it? If I could do that, I could test it out.

sincerely,

confused
    When using "T", with the RB ProSD, you need two release cables - one for "MLU" and one for "B" - press shutter release button, then "B", then "MLU" with lens set on "T". Time the exposure (more than one second) between "B" and "MLU", press "B" to begin exposure then press "MLU" to finish.
    Last edited by panastasia; 12-14-2007 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin