Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rolleiflex and "modern" tripods

SORRY! Hit the enter key on accident.

Title should read: Rolleiflex and "modern" tripods

I'll be receiving my (new to me) Rolleiflex 3.5E shortly. I do have a 3/16" quick release adaptor plate for my Manfrotto ball head. I was wondering if there would be any issues with using this quick release plate.

Is a RolleiFIX necessary?

(Haha, I caught myself asking if the tripod mount would be able to hold the Rolleiflex in "portrait" orientation, but I remembered that the Rolleiflex is a 6x6 camera... Duh! Sorry guys, I'm new to the MF world (and the film world!)).
    Last edited by jasonjoo; 12-09-2007 at 06:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rolleifix is not necessary but is very useful, but redundant with your quick-release head. For convenience you might consider getting an extra plate and mount it to the camera once-and-for-all. Once you start using a quick-release of any type you'll not stop. I use Rolleifix and "Hasselblad-fix" every time I shoot with those cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Brian. I should pick up a few more quick release plates. I have 2 other cameras that could use one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thread title updated.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks David, I appreciate it.

BTW, what's the benefits of the Rolleifix? I heard sometimes you can damage the bottom or back (can't remember) of the Rolleiflex with a normal tripod mount.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    Thanks David, I appreciate it.

BTW, what's the benefits of the Rolleifix? I heard sometimes you can damage the bottom or back (can't remember) of the Rolleiflex with a normal tripod mount.
    The benefit of a Rolleifix is that it undoes quickly, allowing you to remove the camera from the tripod and change films. With a quick-release plate, you will need to remove the plate from the camera to rotate the camera base catch and open the camera - attempting to load the camera while it is still attached to a tripod via its open back could cause severe damage.

As a long-time Rollei TLR user, I don't believe you will damage a Rollei by using a normal tripod mount (this was all there was when the cameras were designed) so long as you don't tighten the tripod screw with a gorilla-like grip or attempt to lift the camera plus tripod by pulling on the camera.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks David.

I don't think I'll be going through 120 film too quickly. I'll try and make those 12 exposures count There probably won't be much of a rush to change film out either with landscape photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Arca-Swiss type plates on just about all my cameras, but I haven't found one that I can put on my Rolleiflex without it obstructing the catch to open the back. I think I could probably design one that would work, but haven't felt the need, given that I found a reasonably priced Rolleifix. So I have the Rolleifix with an Arca type plate on the bottom, since all my tripods have Arca type clamps on them. This works well and is quick, and it isn't too big or heavy to carry about with the camera.

I Haven't tried any of them, but there are some quick release systems that use a very small plate which I think could be left on the Rolleiflex all the time - something like the Novoflex Mini-Connect system, perhaps.

Peter
    Last edited by Bandicoot; 12-10-2007 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    As a long-time Rollei TLR user, I don't believe you will damage a Rollei by using a normal tripod mount (this was all there was when the cameras were designed) so long as you don't tighten the tripod screw with a gorilla-like grip or attempt to lift the camera plus tripod by pulling on the camera.
    Or carry the tripod over ones shoulder with the camera attached.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I heard that you can easily warp the body when trying to fasten a slightly too long tripod screw. Be careful.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin