Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,212   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

mamiya 7II Flash sync

Can anyone tell me about the flash sync on this camera. Does it just fire the flash or is there some auto flash metering happening. i.e. would I need to calculate flash and set accordingly or is it automatic. Both options would be preferable.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no auto flash metering on the M7II. You need the calculationmethode.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's not TTL metering as stated, but it has a leaf shutter, so it should sync at any shutter speed.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes, you have to use a flashmeter or to calculate. But the big advantage of the central shutters is indeed flash sync at every speed from bulb to 1/500e. So It's great. I use it regularly in studio, and it's great !
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks guys & gals,
    I thought that was going to be the case. What I'm after is really only to be used for fill flash. probably for 65 to 150mm lenses. could you recommend a flash head which is zoomable between those focal lengths which cover the format? I guess the quoted figures for most flash units are for the 35mm format which doesn't apply to 6x7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 6X7 you should have no problem with a common flash unit, Vivitar or Metz being easily available. If you're using the auto function of the flash the range is limited by the maximum aperture of the lens & power of the flash.
    Some of the units have a "zoom" head which extends the usable distance by using a movable fresnel, "throwing" the light a greater distance.
    Check into Vivitar 283 or 285 or Metz 32/40/42 series for reasonably compact, lightweight units if you're looking for shoe mount or Metz 45/60 if it's handle mount you prefer.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Images
    "I guess the quoted figures for most flash units are for the 35mm format which doesn't apply to 6x7."

Good Afternoon, Rob,

You should have no problem making the transfer to 6 x7. With Vivitar 285's, for example, I use the "wide" head setting for the 58mm lens on my Koni-Omega 6 x 7 rangefinder and the "tele" setting for the 180mm. "Tele" should work fine for your 150mm. Similar adjustments should apply with most of the other flash units mentioned above. If you're primarily interested in fill flash, just select the auto flash mode which will deliver a stop or two less light than required for a straight-on flash shot at a given aperture.

Konical

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I had a look at the vivitar site and there was no mention of flash units. Also looked at the metz site. Methinks models have changed but I get the idea. One of the metz units has a switchable film format so you can select 35mm 645 6x6 etc. But that unit probably has a lot more power and is bigger than perhaps I want. I suspect I'll get a smaller metz, since if I have to meter anyway, then a quick flash meter test should tell me what I need to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rob:

It is not the film format that matters, it is the angle of view of the lens. A 50mm lens on a 35mm camera will see almost exactly the same scene as a 90mm lens on the Mamiya 7 (ignoring the fact that the 35mm format is slightly more rectangular). Accordingly, if the flash covers the angle of view for the 50mm lens on the 35mm camera, it will cover the angle of view of the 90mm lens on the Mamiya 7, without any change of setting.

For flashes with adjustable coverage, you just need to know what the angle of view equivalencies are between the lenses for 35mm lengths and the lenses for the Mamiya 7 camera.

Here is a link to the Mamiya site, where the lenses are listed. If you click on each lens, you can read the applicable angle of view:

http://www.mamiya.com/mamiya-7-ii-lenses.html

If you need one, I expect I can find a link listing angles of view for common lenses for the 35mm format as well.

Matt

P.S. here is a link for a table showing the details for all the lenses in the Olympus Zuiko (35mm) line - it shows which angles of view correspond to which focal lengths:

http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-.../lenstable.htm

P.P.S. All of the above applies only to cameras and lenses without movements.
    Last edited by MattKing; 12-11-2007 at 03:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added 35mm info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rob,
    I think some sources still have new Vivitar 285's.
    You can pick up used ones up for cheap though. I have seven 283's most picked up at resale shops or yard sales for around $5.
    As long as the battery compartment isn't corroded and the battery holder is there It's not an expensive gamble. It's probable that I'm going to buy one eventually that doesn't work but not so far.
    I prefer the 283 because it's slightly smaller than the 285. The 285 is more sophisticated though. It has the zoom head and the ability to control output in the manual mode which the 283 doesn't. The 283 has accessories available(used) that allow power control and a filter holder that will accept fresnels to vary the coverage.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin