Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,372   Online: 1087

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fuji 645Zi / Pentax 645 film orientation

Moving ever so slowly from my little-used Hasselblad toward a Fuji 645Zi. I've searched APUG's relevant posts, but I need a verification on item. One poster mentioned that the Fuji 645 negatives or oriented vertically--meaning, I take it, that the wide dimension is not oriented horizontally, as in a 35mm. Is this the case? (that would be a deal breaker). And the Pentax 645?--same story?

Images
    If the film is loaded left to right, then the negative orientation will be vertical (portrait); loaded top to bottom, then horizontal (landscape).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Frazzetta View Post
    One poster mentioned that the Fuji 645 negatives or oriented vertically--meaning, I take it, that the wide dimension is not oriented horizontally, as in a 35mm. Is this the case? (that would be a deal breaker).
    That is correct. The viewfinder in the Fuji 6x4.5 series of rangefinders is oriented vertically. All 6x4.5 negatives (regardless of the camera) are oriented vertically on the strip of negatives as this is how you fit 15-16 exposures. There are 645 cameras (the majority of them) which have the viewfinder oriented horizontally, i.e. the Mamiya 6x4.5 cameras.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, thanks for the posts R and J...the Mamiya 645 Pro that I had a few years back was horizontal, and that's what I expected of the Fuji and the Pentax...but your explanation clears it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the Pentax, the film moves from top to bottom, so the camera is held like a 35mm.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin