Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,001   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

IR in a Mamiyaflex C2

Anybody know if the bellows in this thing are IR proof? I'd like to know before I smoke a roll of film and find out the hard way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    why not try just one frame of film? I'd guess it might depend a lot on the particular camera & what condition the bellows are in

snip a few inches off a roll and pop it in...then take camera out into bright sunlight for 20 minutes or so w/o taking a shot

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    why not try just one frame of film? I'd guess it might depend a lot on the particular camera & what condition the bellows are in

snip a few inches off a roll and pop it in...then take camera out into bright sunlight for 20 minutes or so w/o taking a shot
    That is a possibility, but dissecting and reconstructing 120 roll in pitch dark is a bit of a pain. I'm really hoping that someone can just say -yup, no prob, I do it all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yup...I was trying to think of a simple way, but every idea I have involves fussing with the film

I have a Mamiyaflex also...but not sure which specific model it is...I can't even find a serial # on it

what film is it...Konica?...or someone else?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not a conclusive answer but Dave Miller has some IR images in his gallery, this one taken with a C330: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...o=6264&limit=1

My Mamiya RB67 is also o.k. with IR film.

Whilst there is no guarantee that the C2 bellows material is the same as the C330, the fact that a C330 can be used with IR would be enough assurance for me to try it out.

In the comments for this image, Dave says that he bought the C330 specifically for IR.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 12-13-2007 at 03:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Not a conclusive answer but Dave Miller has some IR images in his gallery, this one taken with a C330: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...o=6264&limit=1

My Mamiya RB67 is also o.k. with IR film.

So assuming the bellows materials on these cameras is the same, the C2 should be o.k.

Steve.
    That is definitely encouraging...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a C330 for Konica IR work and never had a problem. I like shooting IR with a twin lens camera, no problems composing or fiddling with the filter. The Konica film being only 720nm makes it easy, the 870nm films may act different. Anybody know for sure about this?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    yup...I was trying to think of a simple way, but every idea I have involves fussing with the film

I have a Mamiyaflex also...but not sure which specific model it is...I can't even find a serial # on it

what film is it...Konica?...or someone else?
    I'm looking to shoot some rolls of the Efke820 before I commit to 8x10. It should tell me allot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Nice image!

I can add to that that I have used my Mamiya C3 with Ilford SFX-200 on several occasions without a problem.
    I have some Efke 820 and Rollei IR 400 waiting to be tried out as well, but alas, 'tis not the season for IR.

I hope this gives you enough encouragement to try it out.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C2 has a mechanical film advance lock, so make sure the red window is closed (or tape some foil over it). I would also suggest keeping the bellows racked in when not taking the pictures. You can also raise the internal baffle (unlock the lens change) if you want extra peace of mind.

The older (pre C330s) cameras have more metal and should be more IR safe as a result.

Graham
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin