Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,840   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

What film to try first

So I just bought my first medium format camera. Mamiya 654 1000s.
    Im contemplating what b/w film and devel combo to try first. From your experience, what would you do in my shoes to get the most out of medium format?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try something simple like an old technology film and standard developer. Tri-X, Plus-X, HP5+, FP4+ for film. D76 or Rodinal developer.

Or, if you're using 35mm and like your results, just use the same film in medium format with the same developer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
    So I just bought my first medium format camera. Mamiya 654 1000s.
    Im contemplating what b/w film and devel combo to try first. From your experience, what would you do in my shoes to get the most out of medium format?

Pick a popular, reliable, proven stock. Something from The Great Yellow Father, or dos-guyz-from-England.

Pick a popular, reliable, proven developer. Something from The Great Yellow Father, or dos-guyz-from-England.

This will help to keep things consistent, and give you a base to build on, that has the maximum of information, comparisons, and experience to draw on.

Getting the most out of medium format is mostly a function of you, so keep it simple at first. When you are comfortable and feel in total control, go off on th Pyro stuff, less common films, etc. You will have the base line of "normal" to work from, and mastering the variables of new things will be much easier.

JMO

J

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks guys, Ive been a Trix and Rodinal or D76 guy for years so maybe starting with this combo makes sense to compare it to 35mm.
    But then I do want to branch out, slower speed films and different developers to really see what medium format can do.
    Should be fun...still waitng for the camera to arrive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
    Thanks guys, Ive been a Trix and Rodinal or D76 guy for years so maybe starting with this combo makes sense to compare it to 35mm.
    But then I do want to branch out, slower speed films and different developers to really see what medium format can do.
    Should be fun...still waitng for the camera to arrive.
    Sound really good. Starting with something you are already very familiar with will really show you what's different. Since you already have good experience, I think you could start experimenting pretty quickly, but shoot and process a few rolls of your tried and true first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to try some slow films later on, consider Pan F+ and Efke 25. Both can produce beautiful prints and both look really good in D76 1:1 but you have to experiment to control the contrast.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilford FP4+ or TMX in Rodinal. Both are beautiful in their own rights.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Efke PL 50 is a gorgeous film also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a slower film, Efke 25 in Rodinal (1+100) is well worth a try. Using 1+100 dilution and reducing the agitation helps tame the contrast, and gives a really nice "rich" tonality. The only thing I don't care for with this film is its tendency to curl.

For something slightly faster, give Fuji Acros a try, also in Rodinal 1+100. Sharp, lovely tonality, and since it's MF, very little grain.

I know you've asked about B+W, but if this is your first time using a camera larger than 35mm, you should also shoot a roll of slide film. You'll find yourself wondering if 6x4.5 is this good, what would the larger sizes be like. And thus begins the slide....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    120 Tri-X can look reaaaally smooth when properly processed. I suggest you try transferring your 35mm experience to 120; within 2-3 rolls you should have nailed your exposure/dev time properly. Then you know you have a safe haven should you face an uncertain situation.

After that, go crazy, and pick any exotic film you like from those already recommended. Be consistent, take notes, and only change one variable at a time.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin