Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,717   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

35mm film in Medium Format Camera

Greetings all,

Has anyone tried using 35mm film in a medium format camera without using a dedicated 35mm back, and not using a Holga? I love the Holga effect where the image bleeds onto the sprocket holes of the film. And I would like to try this in a "higher end" camera like my RB67 or my TLR.

So... is there a way to secure the 35mm film canister so that it mates with the 120 film spool holders? (a way better than the foam tension Holga method).

Thanks for any ideas,
    Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mamiya made a 35mm panoramic holder for their Mamiya 7 system. Works great.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Use a 120 take up spool and cut another one down to fit into the ends of the 35mm spool. Rewind in a film changing bag or (very) darkroom.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Steve,

I thought of this, but the 120 spools are too big in diameter to fit inside the ends of the 35mm canister. Is there a way you could suggest to decrease the 120 spool diameter? Could they be ground down some way?

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Use a 120 take up spool and cut another one down to fit into the ends of the 35mm spool. Rewind in a film changing bag or (very) darkroom.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeklensch View Post
    I thought of this, but the 120 spools are too big in diameter to fit inside the ends of the 35mm canister. Is there a way you could suggest to decrease the 120 spool diameter? Could they be ground down some way?
    Have a look at this: http://www.geocities.com/brandonshah...rownie2ab.html

A similar idea but using even bigger 116 size spools in an old box camera.

This method just uses a couple of wooden spacers to hold the 35mm roll in place.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,

I have done the research on an rb67 back. I first thought... use the innards of my Yashica 635. I figuring out it's possible if you glue the take up reel to the idler part of the reel together, I started looking at 120 spools so I wouldn't destroy a perfectly good 635 135 adapter.

If you have a lathe, it's easy. turn a cylinder the width of the 120 spool. place the turned cylinder in a chuck driven by the head stock and drill a hole the diameter of the spool shaft in the end of the cylinder using a tailstock mounted chuck and bit. Then slice off 2 of these sections, 1/4 inch thick, of this cylinder and split them in half. Place both over the spool leaving enough room in the center section of the spool for 135 film. Glue the split parts together to capture the 135 film in the center of the spool. Make another for the take up spool.

Now... get a roll of 135 film, you know, 100 feet long. Put the first empty spool on your take up side of your rb back. Thread the 135 film onto the spool in complete darkness. Advance the back 11 shots., Heck make it 12 for comfort. Take the spool off, put it on the other side of the back and feed the thread as if it were 120 film. Take the other empty modified spool and put it on the take up side of the film back. Thread the film on the the spool, advance one crank, then close up the film holder. Put it on the camera, take your 10 24mmx70mm shots, and advance the film until it comes off the original spool. Unload the back in dark please. Load film onto the development reel of your choice.

Process film at this point.

Simple, eh?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have seen where others (in F295.org, Flickr, etc) have suggested taking 120 backing paper and taping the film and rolling into the spool. Just like 120 film, it's just smaller. I dont know if your back will have any issues if the 35mm film is slightly thicker or not. This method would probably work better than NOT using the backing paper, just taping the film to a 120 spool and loading up in the darkroom. Seems a lot easier to throw it into a Holga. :-)

Of course, this would help if you are developing the film yourself, not sending out to a lab.

I hope this helps you.

Paul
    Last edited by pauliej; 01-17-2008 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I just respool

I just lay out 3 or 4 used 120 rolls on my darkroom table (safelight off) and then tape down 35mm and wind them back up. Only takes a few minutes. Nothing special required.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow... thank you all for the replies. You all have some great ideas... I especially like the ones regarding taping the 35mm film to 120 paper. Seems like an elegant solution.

I also posted this question to another forum and got some equally creative ideas. They also included shaving down a 120 spool to fit inside of the canister, and also just using wooden dowels that fit in the canister and cutting them to the length of a 120 spool. But one reply was from a fellow that does exactly what I'm looking to do, and he used the plastic tube from a Bic Biro pen to perfectly fit inside the 35mm canister, and then cut it to the correct size. I thought that was brilliant. And he used this set-up on an RB and a TLR... just like I want to do. He posted his results and the images are beautiful. So I'll probably give this a try, as well as experimenting with whittling down a 120 spool.

Thanks so much again. You all are a great wealth of knowledge

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was browsing through Flickr's RB67 pics and came across this, which is no doubt the mod Mike's referring to. Very cool!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin