Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,740   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hasselblad 503CX

Besides TTL, what improvements/differences does a 503CX have over a 500C/M?

edit: Other things I have been able to find out - CXI has the ability to use winder but CX doesn't. CX / CXI doesn't have improved floating mirror that the 501CM and 503CW have.
    Last edited by mikefiction; 01-24-2008 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Edited for spelling and accuracy
    - Mike Fiction

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefiction View Post
    I know the shutter cocked window is missing, and the wind crank is fixed on the CX which to me is a bit of a downgrade. Any upgrades besides the TTL?
    Not true. It does have the shutter cocked window.

It does not have the gliding mirror which was developed AFTER the CX was discontinued. The V Series does not go in numerical order.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sirius Glass, I actually figured that out about the cocked window on the CX just as you were posting this!

Right on the GMS - I was mentioning upgrades I know of on other Hassy bodies - my question though ultimately that I'm looking for is what are "all" the upgrades - what's different on a CX besides TTL from the 500CM? Or is that it? Was there internal reflection improvement? Any mechanical improvements?
    - Mike Fiction

Yes, there was an "internal reflection improvement". It involves a rubbery matte substance called "PALPAS". I believe it also was supposed to dampen sound, which it does to some extent. Nice idea, but PALPAS deteriorates over time, developing vein-like cracks that criss-cross its surface. My 503CX is about 15 years old, and the PALPAS has started to go. The immediate cure is a bit of flat-black model paint on the cracks. The long-term cure is replacement, which requires a major body disassembly. I'm going with flat-black paint until the body needs a CLA.

Other than that, my CX is wonderful. I bought it as part of a kit. I don't use the metering system. Otherwise I would have bought a 501CM. I do find the viewfinder image cutoff a bit annoying.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Peter!
    Does the 501CM have the same internal "PALPAS" coating or is that improved?
    - Mike Fiction

I don't know if the 501CM had the same coating or not, or whether Hasselblad continued to use it for any length of time. Someone else here or on another forum might be able to tell you. If you could pick up a 503CX cheap and have a CLA and include PALPAS replacement, you might come out ahead!

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HS/HSTable.aspx for the history of Hasselblad models and features.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Digital Back

Has anyone purchased a digital back for their 503CX? What experiences or recommendations would you make from your experience?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Shackelford.

Just a heads up though - most likely this thread will be edited or disappear, because of the narrow focus of APUG. Digitally focussed threads are outside the forum's focus - there is a hybrid/digital sister site though at DPUG.org.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We'll keep it for now, since it's a new member.

The thread is about analog Hasselblads, so that will stay - only one post touched on digital, and the poster has been warned.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin