Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,407   Online: 931

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Thanks everyone, Ive got plenty to run with now.

T-man
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey Thomas, you have some very nice interesting work in your site. The only complaint I have is this "figurative work" phrase....what is that?? c `mon bubba, fess up...they are nudes....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Jorge,
    I had to " Figure" out how to shoot them did'nt I? Since I don't shoot these for a commercial application and I have an art background I'm hoping to distance myself from the nude or erotic mentality. Course maybe I'm splitting hairs. enjoy the images.

T-man

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thomassauerwein @ May 11 2003, 09:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Jorge,
    &nbsp; &nbsp; I had to " Figure" out how to shoot them did&#39;nt I?&nbsp; Since I don&#39;t shoot these for a commercial application and I have an art background&nbsp; I&#39;m hoping to distance myself from&nbsp; the nude or erotic mentality. Course maybe I&#39;m splitting hairs. enjoy the images.

&nbsp; &nbsp; T-man</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    I enjoy these images - very much&#33;&#33;

Ah, euphemisms ... Images of naked women - uh .. people: "Figure Studies", "Life Class work", "Nudes" ... "Stark ravin&#39; nekkid photos" ... my favorite: "Fabric Free Photography"...

I think your statement about "Distancing my self from the nude or erotic mentality" could open the door to a lively discussion ... but somewhat "off topic" here. Maybe "Ethics and Philosophy"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice work.

I think people may be thrown off by "figurative" which usually implies something different from "relating to the human figure." "Figuration" is usually used in literary and art criticism to refer to the use of "rhetorical figures" in the case of writing, or to various kinds of substitution of an image for another image or for an idea. Metaphors, both visual and literary, would be examples of "figuration" in this sense. "Figurative" meaning would be the opposite of "literal" meaning.

I think these figure studies are indeed figurative, and closed-minded people are sometimes afraid of creative work that isn&#39;t absolutely literal, so it is probably a good idea to warn them before entering your website, as you do, that they might find some things that don&#39;t have an obvious meaning there.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah, David said it best. That is what I was thinking. As a warning it is not very effective, I was little confused as to the meaning.....then when I saw the pics it clicked in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Well I&#39;ve spent the day thinking what you guy&#39;s have offered. I&#39;m still not convinced that the word "Figurative" does not work, The word nude certainly is appropriate but from a marketing standpoint invites the wrong crowd. It&#39;s funny because my wife,my assistant and I dicussed this when we were creating the sight. We never gave it another thought after the the sight was installed.In July we&#39;ll be adding a bunch of new work and at that point the word in question will be reconsidered. I&#39;m pretty adamant though about atracting artistic viewership and staying away from nude or erotic patrons. maybe by then someone will invent a new word.

T-man

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like the use of the word "figurative". The only thing I would add to it is to say maybe "figurative compositions" or maybe "human architecture". Well maybe not the last one. Sounds cold.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Agreed about attracting the wrong crowd. How about, simply, "figure work" or "figure studies" or "studies in the human figure," which is what such work would usually be called in the art context?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin