Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,353   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

REPAIR TO MAMIYA C3 TLR

Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair shop with expertise in fixing the older Mamiya C3 TLR?

I'm having film advance problems with this newly purchased camera. It had been stored unused for a good number of years. My reasons for getting it were part G.A.S. and part sentiment. I had an identical one back in 1966 during a happy time before shipping out to an infantry unit in Vietnam.

As mentioned above, the camera has film advance problems, but may only need a CLA. As a test, it worked fine with two empty spools in the camera. With film (or a spool with only backing paper) it advances properly for a few frames, but then the film advance will keep turning until the film is completely off the spool.

I realize I could just put this camera on the shelf as a souvenir and use another camera to make photographs. It may come to that, but it sure would be nice to get the old camera working properly.

Thanks for any advice you have on a repair shop with expertise with the C3.

Kfleming

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Jimmy Koh, at Koh's Camera...Has done excellent work for me or Photography on Bald Mountain.. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kfleming View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair shop with expertise in fixing the older Mamiya C3 TLR?

I'm having film advance problems with this newly purchased camera. It had been stored unused for a good number of years. My reasons for getting it were part G.A.S. and part sentiment. I had an identical one back in 1966 during a happy time before shipping out to an infantry unit in Vietnam.

As mentioned above, the camera has film advance problems, but may only need a CLA. As a test, it worked fine with two empty spools in the camera. With film (or a spool with only backing paper) it advances properly for a few frames, but then the film advance will keep turning until the film is completely off the spool.

I realize I could just put this camera on the shelf as a souvenir and use another camera to make photographs. It may come to that, but it sure would be nice to get the old camera working properly.

Kfleming

RMD

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem may be caused by the shutter release sticking, i.e. not returning before you wind the film. When the release is depressed, you can wind the film right to the end. If so, a simple cleaning and lubrication of the mechanism will help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Where are you located?
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    Where are you located?
    I'm out on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington, not far from Seattle (as the crow flies, but it's 2.5 hours via road and ferry). There are camera repair facilities in Seattle, but my original post reflects the fact I'm leery of their expertise with older gear. For example, a few years ago one company told me they no longer worked on Nikon F's because the only staffer who knew anything about them had retired. However, Thanks to the Internet and the experience of members of APUG, it's possible to locate the repair shops that still have the requisite expertise.

RMD: Thanks for that tip about the shutter release. I'll look for that.

Mongo141: Thanks for the steer toward Koh's.

kfleming

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kfleming View Post

Kfleming
    I've also learned that Carol Miller (Flutot's Camera Repair, Whittier, CA), who is highly respected by the large format community for her work on shutters, also works on Mamiya TLR's, including the C3. Since I already planned to ship an Ilex shutter to her, I will send the C3 also. My thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

Keith

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keith,

Does the exposure counter work properly, or does it stay on "0"? Do you have the Roll Film/Sheet or Multiple Exp selector set on "Roll Film"? Is the mirror/lens locked or unlocked? Also, is the back cover interlock engaged?

It took me a good two hours fiddling with these interlocks/failsafes before my C33 would work (advance the film one frame at a time and allow the shutter to release). My only problem now is that I'm shedding back cover, gasket foam.

- Terry

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My 330s and 220 and some lenses were fixed by a retired repairman living near Ramstein/Landstuhl air base in Germany. It was cheap, a perfect job. Of course, this is quite far away, and I understand perfectly if you don't want to be even close to a military installation any more.

But there is another story: you are not alone with that sentimental feeling about your first camera. The same guy that repaired my Mamiyas also fixed the Contarex that was my father's last and my first camera. This beast is extremely difficult to repair, even a CLA is only for experts. I will get the camera back in a few days and will be more than happy to give it to my daughter, aged 21. After taking some photos with it, of course... bu she will get my M6 only from my cold dead hands...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    My only problem now is that I'm shedding back cover, gasket foam.
    Obtw, I just found out that it will cost $35 to remove and replace the gasket/seal.

Terry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jon Goodman has material for replacing that foam, he makes up kits for many popular cameras:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...oam-seals.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin