Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,348   Online: 788

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Considering a Hasselblad, but what about lenses

I decided I am going to spend the big bucks and buy one of David Odesses cameras. I almost bit on a Mamiya 7, but I decided to stay away from a range finder. I just sold some Leica equipment and it burning a hole in my pocket!
    I'd wondering your thoughts about a 2 lens set (60-120mm) vs. a 3 lens set (50-80-150). I'll be carrying these around a lot so weight is important.....of course how much will I lose. Most of my work is at or near the normal lens....sometimes slightly wide. Anyone out there who uses the 2 lens approach? Do you sometimes wish from a little more or less reach?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since you mentioned weight, I think the 60 & 120 would work well. The one thing I will say about Hasselblads is that (for me anyway) it is damn near impossible to not get all the lenses! I have lenses from 40mm to 250mm. I think the 40mm is the one I use the most, the 150mm second. The one I don't have is a 120, so I cannot give a personal opinion on that one. The 60mm lens is an odd duck for me, not really wide enough, but I usually go too wide if going wide at all? (Did that make any sense?) Actually, either grouping would be great. I often try to pick out two lenses when traveling, though no matter what I bring I wish I had something else. Heck, this post was probably no help at all....
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 50-80-150 is the "classic" Hasselblad set-up and one which I have.

But lately, I've been working on a project, packing just the 50 for street and landscape, and the 150 for portraits and everything is fine. This would be a 28 and 90 on your Leica.

As I am sure David O will tell you, get CF or newer lenses as the parts for the older C lenses are getting hard to find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carried a 503cxi, 50/80/150/tubes/2 or 3 backs/bogen 3221 in a Lowepro backpack at the Grand Canyon last summer. I'm in pretty good shape. Gym 3 days a week, ride 100 miles on my bike on weekends, 2 or 3 50-60 mile rides during the week.
    Boy! That backpack was pretty freaking heavy!! Would I do it again at Grand Canyon....heck no! Perhaps, next time, 1 4x5 (wood), 1 lens, 1 tripod, changing bag, film holders and film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have this same set with the Rolleiflex SL66. It's a great choice. You can do a lot with three lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    50 - 100 two lens set
    50 - 120 two lens set
    50 - 80 - 150 three lens set -- good
    50 - 80 - 180 three lens set -- better
    50 - 80 - 250 three lens set <======= I recommend this choice
    50 - 80 - 150 - 250 four lens set <==== I have this choice and I am very happy with it!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All you need is the 80. Keep it simple.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    50 - 80 - 180 three lens set -- better
    I have a similar set up for my RB67 - 50, 90, 180 which I also think is a good combination.

I sometimes decide to take just one lens out though. Usually the 50 or the 180.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What Steve said. I didn't suffer from any GAS (regarding the Blad) after acquiring the 250 - those four are really all I need. Now a SWC, that would be something...

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 50-80-150-250, but when I'm travelling I wish I had a 60 and a 110.

And a SWC.

In short, there is no hope.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin