Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,068   Online: 920

Shooter
    Holga

Hasselblad viewfinder question

Its bonus time! Are the hasselblad 500 / 501 / 503 viewfinders 100%? What about with a prism attached does that have any effect on the amount you can view? I cant make up my mind between a large format kit or a hasselblad kit with a prism is why I ask. I want 100% coverage with a clear indication of what goes into my frame.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No, I don't think you are able to see 100% in the viewfinder on a Hasselblad. I can't remember the exact figure, but... In any case, a large format camera is the way to go.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According the copy of The Hasselblad Manual I just bought, the view is 97% of what is recorded on the film.
    A large format camera would not guarantee a 100% view either. It would depend on the design of the camera and the GG mount.

Shooter
    Holga
    Thanks guys! 97% is pretty good. I thought I had my mind made up until you had to chime in Jerevan! (just kidding!) I'm sure I'll flip flop a few more times till I cash the check ;-) So this should be the same 97% with the prism too Im guessing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So this should be the same 97% with the prism too Im guessing.
    I believe so, the book doesn't differentiate between what you see with the WL and a prism, and the prism does show the edges of the focusing screen.
    A MF camera, whether Hasselblad or otherwise is a rather different beast than a large format. The choice should depend on more than what you can see on the focus screen, regardless of it's size. What sort of pictures do you want to make with this new camera?

Shooter
    Holga
    Its mostly landscape details and creek/river shots. I love the resolution of the large format but worried that I'll not take as many shots as I would with the med format. I like to wander around and find the things I shoot. LF may not be as conducive to that as I'd like not to mention its like a 1$ a frame. But MAN the resolution! :o

Heres a pretty recent example of the types of shots Im taking lately

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If that's your genre, synj00, then you'd really benefit from the movements a large format field camera offers. You're already putting your camera on a tripod, time spent for a shot would not be so much longer and I think of that as a possibility. By the way, 1$ a shot for large format chromes or negatives is a bit optimistic.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin