Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,872   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Multi Format

Graflex TLR model 200?

I've noticed a "Graflex TLR model 200" on a local photo store's used equipment webpage. The thing's 75 bucks, and I've wanted a TLR for a while, though I can't find any information it. Any knoweledge would be helpful, and is this a good buy? I think I might walk up there and check it out later this afternoon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Seems a bit pricey for one of those to me. It's a pretty low level TLR, although capable of decent photos (and how bad can a medium format negative be?). It's decended from the Ciroflex TLR - Graflex bought the company. I have the original Graflex 22. I've never actually used it - I bought it on ebay to have a TLR but then picked up a really nice Yashica D almost immediately after. Since then the Yashicas seem to have gone insane in terms of pricing (makes me think of selling mine). Anyway, my Graflex 22 has a Graftar 85mm f3.5 - it's probably a triplet and it's single coated. There's no double exposure prevention and no frame counter, just the simple red window system. I'm not sure how the model 200 differs (there's also a 400).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I went up and asked to see it, but they said it was burried in boxes in the back, because they were doing an inventory thing. So I gave them my number. I looked at some of the shots and thought they were pretty good, but I don't know many other affordable TLR's that I can find. I'll give the think a look at in a week or so, and see how I like it. They have a pretty liberal return policy, however, so I suppose if it's not in the best condition they'd take it back. No idea what the lens is though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If its a Graflex 22, its the Ciro-flex rebranded. Ciroflexes came (IIRC) with am 85mm triplet in either Alphax or Rapax shutters and an 83mm Tessar in a Flash Rapax. They're not bad little cameras. I need to take mine out again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Worth the price tag, though?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanCraver View Post
    Depends on how badly you want a 6x6 TLR I suppose. In all seriousness though, I saw one go on ebay for around $50-$60 last week and there's a model 200 ending in 45 minutes on ebay that's currently at $31.

If you really want to spend $75 for one, I'll sell you mine (with battered but usable case minus strap, and flash unit minus bulb) for that shipped, and I'll even run a roll of film through it to make sure it works first. I like how it looks but have two other TLRs I don't use and I'm running out of room in my display space - I have GAS apparently.

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've used a bunch of TLR's over the years, starting with my first Yashica D in high school (1972)... I personally feel that the Graflex isn't in my top 5.

My top 5 (as far as basic affordability goes)...

Minolta Autocord
    Yashica D through LM
    Mamiya C220 or C330 (interchangeable lenses!)
    Rolleicord (okay- not as fine as the original Rollei, but affordable)
    Seagull (I think these are still made today)

I've used each of these & they're all very usable cameras, with their own idiosyncracies... Of all of them I've liked the Minolta Autocord the best. The Yashica's ar the easiest to come by (I still have a YashicaMat 124G in my cupboard.) The Mamiya is the most useful in a studio setting, because of the interchangeable lenses... Although the Minolta Autocord that I owned had a set of add-on lenses that worked quite well. The Rolleicord prices are going up, and most people dismiss the Seagull because it's Chinese... I gave mine to a friend who still loves using it.

All in all- the Graflex is fine (I've had 3) but these others are just a bit nicer to use, depending on how you're going to use them.

John "Alpha Flying Monkey" Moore

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanCraver View Post
    No way!

I have bought and sold many for much, much less than that. Some cost more to ship than they were worth (the things are HEAVY). I think $20 would be pushing it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A couple of years ago I bought a 40 year old Rolleiflex in good condition (the owner said it had had a recent CLA) and it has performed perfectly. Everything works on it, including the light meter and linked aperture and shutter speed adjustments, and the flash synchroniser (although I don't use it, as I like natural light). The lens (3.5) is sharp and gives good colour rendition. I paid around GBP 400, a modern version, almost exactly the same, is now being produced for GBP 2,000+, so second hand is the way to go.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin