Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,324   Online: 1213

Thread: Tripod question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tripod question

Can I use my Manfrotto professional tripod currently used for 35mm camera for a RB67? Or, do I require a bigger mounting plate?
    Thanks
    Greg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which model do you own? If the tripod is heavy enough it will be fine for medium format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    Which model do you own? If the tripod is heavy enough it will be fine for medium format.
    Model is ART 190, head #141RC if that is any help. It has a quick release pad about 5.5 x 4.5 cm which remains attached to camera body.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My best advice is to try it out if possible in case anything on the tripod head obstructs access to camera functions such as loading film etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Promaster 6400 that I use with my Mamiya M645j. It is a lighter (35mmish) tripod but it does well with the Mamiya. I find, though, that on vertical shots, if I'm not looking, the lens likes to slide down a bit so an adapter would anchor it in place. My GAS has subsided due to monetary restraints but I would get an adapter. It's on my rebate GAS list.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Bogen 3221 tripod & a 3047 head for my 35mm & RB67.

Craig
    digital is only good for computers & telephones NOT for photography & music

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In general, the higher you raise the center column for the head, the less stability you have. The same can be true with leg extensions.

If you think the tripod is a bit lightweight (not to be confused with light in weight), try not to extend the legs or center column to their maximum.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    Model is ART 190, head #141RC if that is any help. It has a quick release pad about 5.5 x 4.5 cm which remains attached to camera body.
    I use the 141RC with both my 35mm kit and my Mamiya M645j without any problem, I keep meaning to buy another quick release plate so I can leave it attached to the Mamiya as I rarely hand hold it.
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have use the Bogen RC2 QR plate for all my cameras 35mm, Mamiya 645, C330, RB-67, and 4X5. It has worked for years, I feel the camera could be a little more stable (4X5 and Rb-67) but all my pictures have been very sharp even in long exposures (1-15seconds). I use the 468 ballhead on a 3001 tripod. I might upgrade to the 488 ballhead but I,ll keep the RC2 QR plate because I have so many, I also might upgrade the tripod for the larger camera but I never get around to it.

I think the plate you are talking about is the RC2 plate

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    In general, the higher you raise the center column for the head, the less stability you have. The same can be true with leg extensions.
    Basically I would say if your concern is with merely accepting the camera body onto the tripod then you should have no problems. As to the stability of the tripod, I always drape the strap of my camera bag over the recess in the head of my tripod to lend added stability. There are other ways as well. But as to fit and function, go for it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin